God and Christianity and my own views

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by diy bubblahs, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I was raised a Christian, but stopped going to church regularly sometime when I was young. I could never take religion very seriously and still don't today. Many religions would have you believe only in that religion it seemed and not even god and Jesus. I am not sure that there is a God or Jesus.. Or Allah.. Or Buddha (despite my avatar/prof pic :p ) Yet, I sometimes like to think that there is a higher being when my logical side isn't steering my mind in other directions. And it is my belief that if there is a Creator, then He/She/It would not have all humanity live by strict laws and demand worship. I feel as though such things are immature in the eyes of a being so complex and powerful and wise. To create something as unique and miraculous as life in all of it's different forms, especially us humans with the capacity to think, reason, etc. such a being would have to be incredibly wise and understanding. I think that the Creator would simply want us to live an honest life in which we were kind to all around us, feeling compassion for those who need it and supportive of love and peace etc. He would understand our flaws and our mistakes and forgive them without demanding prayer while on the knees. I definitely do not think that you will go to hell if you do not live a pure life. I'm not sure I believe in heaven or hell, they seem like just another human invention. I do not follow a religion, I believe in a possible creator and living a simple life in which I strive to do as much "right" and as little "wrong" as possible.

2. I think that your view is a very wise one.

3. The age of enlightenment is here.

People are realizing religion makes no sense logically, and becomming agnostic or athiest.

Thank darwin!

4. Bro religion is a byproduct of man and society. In the beginning there was no religion, only logic and the natural laws of the universe. What you feel is completely normal and is the most sensible approach to living.

5. Yes, logically, it doesn't make much sense, spiritually, the purpose is ever so clear.

I have the exact same views as the OP. Went to church growing up, realized church is dumb, a big social fest of hypocrites and judgemental people. I don't consider myself to have a religion anymore. The way I look at it, is that I know there is some sort of creator out there, I like to call him God, and I have a personal relationship with him. I've felt the presence of the holy spirit before, through prayer and worship. One of the most amazing experiences ever. And when I say prayer and worship, I mean going to YC Edmonton at Rexall place, with 10's of thousands of other people, all experiencing God.

Idk I can't put my faith into words, just makes me sound silly.

6. Thanks bro!

Usually when I try to explain this, people tell i'm wrong, don't care, or totally misunderstand what I am trying to say!

7. No, you don't, because I don't know and you don't possess any theological ability unavailable to me. I hate when people pull this shit. You can't say you swear off religion then claim that you and god are bff's. Like with every other person I've heard this from, if you wan't to have some semblance of spirituality in your life, fine, but don't claim to know things you couldn't possible know.

8. It may be impossible to your ignorant thick head, but to me, and many others, it's a reality.

The only ability I possess that you don't, is faith. Who are you to tell me I haven't experienced anything?

WHO ARE YOU!? to tell me my sisters freshly broken arm wasn't healed right infront of my eyes whilst a couple families prayed over her?

WHO ARE YOU!? to tell me what I know and what I don't?

WHO ARE YOU!? to tell me my faith is false?

I'm done here, people like you just aren't worth my time. You'll realize it all some day, everyone will.

9. Woooooord!

10. [quote name='"vCanisMajorisY"']

No, you don't, because I don't know and you don't possess any theological ability unavailable to me. I hate when people pull this shit. You can't say you swear off religion then claim that you and god are bff's. Like with every other person I've heard this from, if you wan't to have some semblance of spirituality in your life, fine, but don't claim to know things you couldn't possible know.[/quote]

This is false, while he may not possess any theological ability above your own, you did not have all of his life experiences, or attainment of knowledge to form this conclusion. Why can't he believe in God, from his life experiences? Also, why can one not believe in organized religion, while also believe in a higher power? I suggest you take your own advice and "don't claim to know something you couldn't possibly know."

11. Anybody who dies by the hands of another man dies for their sins

12. this comment might be a little off topic, but this organisation called christianity, or basically any organised religion for that matter is such a joke. they all seem to have perfectly valid spiritual teachings at their core, but damn, there is so much stupid unnecessary shit piled on, and to top it off, barely any of their adherents seem to have even learned anything from them at all, christians are often just as antagonistic or even moreso than atheists in these little god arguments that you always see.

13. [quote name='"vCanisMajorisY"']

You can't say you swear off religion then claim that you and god are bff's..[/quote]

Religion has nothing to do with God. Actually religion completely messes up our relationship with God. I'm not religious at all and I love God

14. I don't believe in following a religion. I'm content with what I know and what I believe. My faith is strong and nothing can break it.

15. [quote name='"chronicTRE"']

I don't believe in following a religion. I'm content with what I know and what I believe. My faith is strong and nothing can break it.[/quote]

Word. That's how we all should be