Gnats?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mikebobby, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Hi,

Indoor tent grow, first grow. 5 weeks in and I am starting to see some gnats. From research the bug isn't the concern it's the larvae eating roots. I have seen 3-4 Gnats this week in a 4x2 with 4 plants.

My question is what should I do? I am going to put up stick paper, and I am just about to transplant into final pots, so I may do a top layer of sand when I transplant in 4 days. Should I go further?

My initial thought was neem oil but so far I have seen maybe 1 every other day, so I'm not sure it's necessary. I just watered today, so i may give it some extra time to dry out this time around, though I'm in 1 gal pots currently and watering almost daily, as they dry out quickly. Im in a basic store bought soil with no nutrients (good size chunks of wood, learned from this one, will start better next grow). My concern is to control it before I have an infestation, but not to go to far with it, if that makes sense.

Any suggestions are appreciated, like I said first shot at this. Was going to do a journal, but just maintaining them and learning has been plenty for me, hopefully next grow!

2. Yellow stickies for the adult flyers and 3 drenches with Gnatrol BT will kill and control them. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Should I use something like Gnatrol at this point or wait and see if it worsens?

If I saw tons I would certainly, but I've been barely seeing them. Is the idea though that I probably already have larvae and should control it before it blows up? Appreciate it.

4. Look in your run off and see if there are any small white larvae in it - if not, you're good. If you continue to see more gnats, just keep checking your run off and if you notice the larvae - drench with Gnatrol to kill the larvae. I always have stickies hanging to kill them before they lay eggs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Thanks. I'll have to get stickys up and keep a close eye. Ideally I would like to be confident it's under control before final transplant, as I have FFOF to put them in this time around. Guess I'll pick something up to have on hand just in case.

6. I just checked on them better, not a gnat in site, maybe I'm just paranoid.

What's my best bet for spotting larve in runoff? I'm in fabric pots, would I still see some in runoff?

7. That's a good question and I thought of that. I have never used fabric pots so I'm not sure - maybe a fabric pot user can chime in. Good luck. :)

8. There are all kinds of ways to kill gnats and their larvae, naturally > sprinkle ceylon cinnamon around your pot, sprinkle a little more after every watering or feeding, in (2) weeks it will kill them all. 3% hydro peroxide, 5 parts water / 1 part 3% hydro peroxide, run that through your plants container. When you do it that way, make up 1 gallon of water, then remove a pint of water from that gallon, then pour 1 bottle / 1 pint of part 3% hydro peroxide, mix it, then pour it through your pot. And no that wouldn't be a 5 to 1 mix, but that amount has always worked for me. You can also use Gnatrol, but ceylon cinnamon works the best as gnats and their larvae cannot tolerate that stuff and it causes no ill effects to your plant or it's root system.

9. I used neem oil, it kills the larvae. Its not an immediate fix though but it works..also a folar spray with a few drops of tea tree oil in water works well too

Sent from my LG-K373 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Same here, 2 wks., twice a day, with Neem oil sprayed on the entire surface of the soil and around the bottom of the pot gets rid of them. ;)