Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Glass vs Acrylic bongs

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by themonolith, Feb 26, 2008.

1. I'm in the market for a new bong and was wondering what are the major differences between glass and acrylic bongs? I broke my old glass bong so I would like to get a durable acrylic one, how much more durable is acrylic? Are there any downsides to using acrylic?

Appearance isn't important to me, I just need a durable bong that will last for a long time.

2. yeah it sucks

glass is better

3. glass bong 100 percent

4. is this REALLY a topic?

glass man!

acrylics won't break, but just be careful with ur glass piece man. a 5 or 7 mm roor will be hard as hell to break, especially if its short.

5. glass is better but if you're afraid of breaking a glass one i'd go acrylic just for the non breaking part.

6. acrylic likes to get smelly

7. acrylic also likes to taste like shit.
    if youre gonna go acrylic just make a wterbottle bong

EDIT: just get a case for your bong next time

8. Ya man just go for the glass.
    acrylic just stanks up and usualy has gross metal bowls.

with glass you get to cool the smoke and have cool features.
    glass bowl for a longer burning bowl to. bud tastes better from glass. storing it in a jar to.
    Glass is just the way to go any day

9. Glass is the ONLY way to go.

10. i think you answered your on question in your post. Thick glass such as the short roors/lux's are hard to break but if you're ultimately after durability then you are much better off acrylic.

11. first of all if you're a true smoker glass on glass bongs arethe only way to go. a lot of people claim that but they never say why they just say "becasue they're better."

Why glass is better than acrylic: Well, acrylic is more durable but it is an inferier smoking medium for several reasons. For one they usually have a metal bowl and downstem. The metal as well as the acrylic change the taste of the weed and i dono about u but i like tasting just weed, nothing else. also, the seal on an acrylic bong is nowhere near as tight as a glass on glass setup. One last thing i've noticed is that acrylic bongs have a lot of drag and are hard to milk. this is bad because its harder for your lungs, and it burns more weed inefficiently. That's a waste of bud. Glass is also much easier to clean and come on, it just looks way nicer :)

Why glass on glass is better than a rubber grommett or "o-ring": The glass on glass seal has more contact area than the rubber o-ring. some people feel that the o-ring is a better seal becasue it's rubber, but this is simply not true. The higher surface areas of glass-on-glass joints provide a much better seal and with much less drag than the o-ring.

in summary: BUY A FUCKIN GLASS ON GLASS BONG!!!!! :smoking::smoking::smoking:

hope this was helpful!

12. not to mention you can't clean an acrylic with iso and salt... or anything really.

13. You can get an Ok glass bong for 80 so just get glass lol.

14. Glass

why not just save up for a nice glass tube. it will be well worth it in the long run :D

perc ftw!

15. Don't get top of the line glass your first time around. Get a simple beaker with a diffuser and an ash catcher if available. Something in the range of $100-150. Because you will break it.

16. One more of these Glass vs acrylic threads... i swear..

17. Well, as someone who has gone through 14 bongs in a lil over 2 years, I'd have to say Acrylic is good for not breaking, if anything.

Otherwise, if you really like the taste of your bud and actually wanna enjoy your smoke session, then get a glass bong. Just get a case for it and try to be very, very, careful.

18. I like Bamboo bongs. Maybe it's just me because I live in a big city, but glass pipes look like crack pipes. Kinda gives ur friends the wrong idea when they come over...
    Bamboo bongs have that 'earthy' look and the wood feels nice in your hand. They don't stink like acrylic or emit harmful plastic fumes into your smoke like acrylic.
    Go natural people!
    :bongin:

Attached Files:

19. I don't see anything that resembles a crack pipe here...:confused_2:

[​IMG]

20. You're right Zim, those are beautiful pipes! I guess I'm just into the natural look of bamboo and wood. :bongin: