glass blowing

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by hydefrom666, Dec 17, 2009.

1. anyone tell me what i need to start blowing glass (tools materials ect... elaborate) and what books to buy or check out. now ive been in a glass blowing setting where lots of people in the community blow glass and the problem id that if you want to learn no-one will teach you they mostly thing they rule and everyone is there puppets (with few exeptions) and want you to outright pay them thousands of dollars (or me there outright slave) that i could just buy all the tools and experiment with myself so any one that can help me i would be geatly appriciative of

2. perhaps google?

3. Like the person above said.. Google.

Torches.. Gas, Propane. Pyrex glass, Special glasses. and the knowledge how to melt glass and keep it moving in a circular motion with out it deforming... It's alot of practice.

good luck

4. #4 CSharp, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    You need a furnace or something thats capable of containing intense amounts of heat. Hints, it should be hot enough to manipulate glass. So perhaps you could look into material capable of containing 2300 degrees. You should be able to blow bubbles into the hot glass with a special blow pipe. U can even use molds to help you shape your glass art but it would be best to take up an apprenticeship somewhere were they offer the guidance and proper equipment. Glass blowing can be dangerous but under the write hands you'll be less likely to hurt yourself.

If your really interested in learning outside of an apprenticeship though I would suggest maybe looking into getting your own furnace. You might need a good amount of cash but at least that way you'd be able to practice without feeling like your under somebodies thumb. Get the proper safety equipment though.

5. This may not be helpful to you at all but Job Corps offers Glazing training. I don't know which locations offer this training besides Long Beach, CA. If you are interested in learning this trade I recommend you check out the site and try to find a location near you that offers glazing.

Welcome to Job Corps

PS: It's free training, free room & board with the exception of statutory authority...

6. Honestly I wouldn't just go buy all the materials and go at it, it takes a bit of leaning.. when I first started glassblowing I took a couple boro pendant classes, then after I got my spin down and the basics, I got a job as a local glass blower for a local head shop in my area, didn't get payed out the ass and it is some work, (burns, cuts, ect) but was well worth the experiance. Good luck