Giant Leaves on small plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Shankapotomus, Dec 15, 2009.

1. #1 Shankapotomus, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
    I started off for the first time with an Aeroponics grow. I have screwed up I don't know how many times with, PH, Nutes, Temp,and so on. These plants ar very forgiving and seem to be ok now but are a little stunted. The problem I have is the leaves on this Indica/Sativa strain (AK Ice) are so big they are shading the growth from below, which when you lift the leaves is alot.
    So do I trim the big leaves to allow the foliage to grow or should I leave them alone.
    If trimming is recommended, do I pinch or cut.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Looks fine to me, but your problem is gonna be when it starts shading the plant next to it, or are you gonna move them apart?

3. #3 Shankapotomus, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
    Norml huh :). I have not grown an Indica strain before and I guess I am used to the skinny Sativa from 30 years ago. Sure looks like alot going on under there though that could use some light.
    I have different lids for my system and can change when they fill out.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

4. I didn't say normal, but I did say they look fine to me.

In fact, they look downright healthy.

5. You're in the short and bushy period. Soon they will start growing upward at a rate of about a 1/2 inch per day. Once it gets about 8" tall the branches will fill in and you can then tuck the big fan leaves to give the lower branches some light.

You're looking all good.

6. Thanks +1 rep:wave:

7. i have the same setup basically but im in my 22day of flowering. the only problem i could see is that its definatly going to shade the other plants. i had 6 plants in mine and two died because they didnt get enough light. try and get some side lighting if anything

other than that id just suggest to clone one of your plants so you have a batch all the same size for next time

happy growin

8. It's been 11 day's since my last photo's and yes the growth has started upward. I also see I am going to have to go to buckets as the plants are starting to crowd. Day 56 of my grow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. #9 2Lazy, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
    The plant in the back is looking awesome, but make sure you check that one really well during sexing. My "super" indicas in veg wind up as hermaphrodites in flowering pretty often. I think it's a hormone thing, they get a little of both and as a result they grow a little faster, even straight from seed.

Speaking of which, you're going to be removing a couple of those once you sex them, so you may not need to go to individual buckets.

It's hard for me to tell in the pictures but I might be seeing a little iron deficiency in the larger plant. I could be totally wrong though.

10. #10 Shankapotomus, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009

I used Feminized seeds on these so I hope I have not stressed them into "Hermies" or straight out males. The wifey wanted to get into the grow and I have planted some tomatoes which are in the bottom of the picture. They are recovering a little slower than the other plants.
    I have something going on with the plants as you suggest. The PH went down to 4.5 as I slacked a little with the X-mas rush around here and didn't check them for a day 1/2.
    Got the PH up and am going to keep vigilant on these after making up a check list of things to check everyday ( should have done from the start)
    Just opened up my boxes from under the tree and have the start to my flowering room which I will be setting up here during the holidays, so I will be ready when I start seeing my "Alternating Nodes":)
    Thanks 2Lazy for the Help and Advice:wave:
    [​IMG]