Ghetto grow journal (first time)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by GrowFan420, Mar 6, 2013.

1. So I'm currently growing, I feel pretty ghetto with my setup so figured it be a nice title for now. I do however plan to upgrade my whole growing room soon, as its pretty shitty. Anyways so this is first time I'm growing anything pretty much, zero experience but so far I like to think I'm doing fine.
    I'm growing a Vanilla Kush by Barney's Farm only at the moment but I'm planning to plant a new seed every 3 weeks until I have my flower room filled.

Then I'll just take it from there.
    Anyways enough of future plans, today the plant is 16 days since planted and 10 days since sprout.

Only getting 50W CFL 6400k about 3500 lumens in total I think if you add them together, 2x 25W or something. Been giving the plant some sunlight every time I get the chance and the conditions are okay for it.

So here's 2 pics taken 4:20PM today (10 days sprout)

Attached Files:

2. Appears pretty healthy! You're on you way :)

As far as CFL's go, you'll want 100w per plant and 50w for each additional plant. Personally, I don't even feel like that's enough :p More light the better!

3. Yes I'm working on the light issue, though it will probably remain this way for the while its gonna be in vegging stage, since I'm about to spend my remaining cash this month on some lights for the flowering room, I'm thinking of transplanting tomorrow, give her a bit fertilizer and change my time schedule from 24/0 to 18/6. I ordered some pots and some more fertilizer a few days ago, was hoping they would arrive fast but seems like its a slow company, first time ordering from them. Since I don't have much faith in the cheap fertilizer I bought a few weeks ago, gonna try it though see if it surprises me.

Cheers! :)

4. Please tell me you're not going CFL during flower...

5. I haven't settled on anything yet haha :) Was looking at some of the HPS options earlier, now my budget is pretty low. So, what I'll do I haven't decided just yet.

6. Vanilla Kush nice! Sounds delicious :) Looks very healthy! Go buy some nutrients!

Honestly, i picked up a 450W HPS on craigslist for 60$

Atleast get a 100W in there for density or your going to lose alot of yield.

7. If it's your first grow and you're just testing the waters to see if this is something you want to continue, by all means go for the CFLs. But be prepared- most people don't even harvest their first grow before they're ordering HPS to complete their flowering stage. Apparently the difference is amazing.

8. Yeah won't be able to find a HPS that cheap in my country sadly, everything is a lot more expensive, I had plans to get minimum 200-250W of 2700k CFL for the flowering room for the full setup, the room will have at average 3 plants all time.

The nutes I got coming is Dutch Pro Grow A+B 1l? It seems to be low to middle quality so hopefully it will do fine for a poor mans vegging, Haven't arrived yet though so my first feeding will probably be with my cheap nutes, see how they do.

Thanks for the nice words definitely happy with the plant so far, and even though it's a bit slow it works perfectly for me, hoping it will speed up later on though, never thought watching a plant grow would be so fascinating though :)

9. I see myself growing for many years to come, however at the moment I think CFLs is the best decision due to their price, I do understand that you get a better yield, just better quality overall with the other lights compared to CFL, though I've seen some pretty decent plants grown with CFL also, no doubt will I be getting better lighting later on though, but I actually kinda like to see what kinda results you can pull off CFL before upgrading :)

10. That's awesome, dude. I'm sure you'll do fine with CFL's as long as you do your research every step of the way. I too have seen some nice dense buds come out of CFL setups. What type of soil are you using? Think about setting up a water-only (no bottled nutrients) medium for your next grow. If you're interested in growing in organic soil let me know and I'll send you some good stuff to read.:smoking:

11. I'm just using some cheap soil found at my local store. Cheap, but it said it was made for seedlings and sowing directly into dirt so figured it would do fine, so far so good. I'm gonna drop by the same store tomorrow and buy this soil product from same brand, that should be good for transplanting, just gonna grow this strain based on cheap products it seems. Please don't hesitate sending me the good information you have on organic growing, I love reading about growing and always nice expanding your knowledge. I certainly want to grow using all out organic soil, but the whole "earthworm castings" and such made me not do it for my first grow. as far as I've read, growing in organic soil is one of the best solutions.

12. Pics taken 420 today, day 11 above soil, 17 from planting.

Transplanted her today, I'm thinking of just keeping her on 24/0 lights during her whole vegging, and then change it when I start my next seed in a few days? I kinda wanna see if I would be able to notice any difference though will probably be hard since its not the same strain.

Also fed her some fertilizer, just after what I feel needed, gonna just feed her how I think it should be until she starts showing signs of that she needs anything.

The white spots on her I think is just from me being messy when I transplanted her, so nothing to worry about.

Attached Files:

13. 420 pics, she was hanging quite a bit yesterday after the transplant, I think it was cause its leaves was resting on the corners of the old pot so maybe it just wasn't prepared for the weight of the leaves? I don't know if that's plausible.

Today she's not really hanging anymore with the leaves, I feel like the tips might be hanging but its not that huge so I don't think its a problem.

She grows pretty slow, only having 50W light I kinda anticipated it, its nice though, gives me time to get ready for flowering.

That brings me to a question, I found a 400W HPS at a good price, I'm considering buying it for my flowering room, but I'm a bit worried regarding heat? Like how much ventilation do I need? Will it be enough to just have some fan blow inside the closet? And what can I expect to spend around on fixing the heat issue if I were to get 400W? The closet is only about 95cm wide, 50cm deep, 185cm high, something around that. I plan to fit 3 plants in the closet.

Attached Files:

14. 420 pics, she's just chillin' I guess, her leaves hang a bit more today but I don't think its too bad.

Attached Files:

15. Didn't manage to get pics at 420, so these are from just now, I just got home and it's definitely grown, however I see some light green spot on one of the leaves, its a really small spot though.

You can kinda see it on the pictures, its the leaf that is closest to the bottom of the screen with its tip.

Attached Files:

16. Woke up today to the one leaf a messed up, I'm not sure why however I'm guessing its cause I need to move my lights further away, was only about 1-1.5cm from 25W CFL?

Was in a rush though so didn't have time this morning so just moved the plant a bit away from the light to the side until I get home.

Attached Files:

17. #19 KangarooBunny, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    Hey dude. You're spot on with your diagnosis, it looks like a bit of heat stress. Good job catching it early :) How are your temps? This was one of the best things I purchased:

Amazon.com: Acu Rite Indoor Humidity Monitor: Home & Kitchen

It records minimum and maximum temperatures so you can see how cold it gets at night and how hot it gets in the day. Does the same with relative humidity.

Edit: Plant looks like it's picking up growth. Looks real good, don't worry about the burn unless it continues.

18. Thanks for the reply!

Yeah it was most likely heat stress as the lights was very very close to the two biggest leaves on the plant. I was planning to move the lights up a bit from the plant but thought it could wait till tomorrow, guess I was wrong. I imagine the temps at the leaves were quite high probably 30+ Celsius. I do have a similar temp/humidity monitor like yours, the average temp is around 25 Celcius, I'm not sure if its too high? I just let it stay that way since I read that germination needed some higher temps. Humidity is really low, probably only 15-20%, currently I don't really know what I can do about it but I'm gonna be picking up some fans soon since I will be needing it for 400W hps anyways.

The air in the room can get a bit shitty so I try to open my windows everyday a few times just to get some fresh new air into the growing box.