Getting started, so confused

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Lunach1ck, Mar 31, 2017.

1. I used to be a horticulture major in college, and took horticulture in high school. Never learned to use hydroponics, but I've been itching to grow some Purple Kush in my closet in my apartment. My partner and I are looking to spend no more than $100 on equipment, is that feasible? If not, I was considering getting lights and some 5 gallon pails to grow with. Also, seeds are confusing me, how do I choose between the Auto flowering, feminized and regular seeds? I want 6 plants to start with, but I don't know how to get the buds off the plant without killing the plant or how to clone. Advice would be very much appreciated here as I'm very new to this.

2. #2 Lucky Luke, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Lots of indoor grows, so have a good read of those and maybe try to copy the set up of a proven one.

Grow Feminized photo period plants. Trouble with Autos is you have less control. With Photo if you have a problem you can keep it in the veg state, get the problem under control and flower when you want it do. This also means you can maximize space. The trouble with reg seeds is you could end up with males..so ur not maximizing your space (unless u want to breed of cause).

Yes u can harvest the buds without killing the plant, u can reveg it. This has pros and cons so do ur research.

I only occasionally dabble indoors in a small micro grow (a fridge) so im really no help on the equipment side of it. Most of my growing is done under the sun. Others on here can help you more there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. im a hydro guy myself so 100 dollars for the equipment to grow 6 plants sounds like a bit of a tight budget to me but others may say different.

You may already know this so sorry if ive misunderstood. Feminized seeds grow the bud you want so always pick feminized. Autos grow for a set period of time and will flower regardless of the amount of light they are given. Normal/photoperiodic seeds will vegetate as long as your lights are on for 18 hours a day, once you flip to 12 hours of light they will begin to flower and grow buds.

In nature cannabis is an annual plant. Thant means it completes its life cycle in a year so after it produces bud it it is ready to die off. You could choose to reveg but its not the norm

If you want to clone you would take cuttings. You can only do this with photoperiodic plants as far as i know and my process is

- select a healthy piece of material for cloning and remove from the mother plant with sharp, sterile secateurs/scissors
    - trim thr cutting to roughly the length of a width of your palm and remove all growth on the bottom 2/3 and any excessively large leaves
    - remove a small slither (about a grape skin thick) around 2cm at the base of the cutting
    - Dip in a rooting hormone
    - Place the cutting in your chosen media. I use rockwool. Get them in a nice humid and warm propagator and you should have root initiation within 10-14 days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I live in the Mojave desert so humidity is an issue for me. I'm not married to 6 plants at once, I could do as low as 3. How much would the plants grow, would it be enough for two people to smoke for a few months with 3 plants, because we want to produce enough to smoke for a while. Also, do feminized produce seeds? And how long do I let the dead plant dry for before smoking it? My only experience is with flowers and such in a greenhouse in soil. I think soil might be better for my budget.

I was looking at these seeds from this company, is this what I should buy and is this a good company to buy from?

Buy Purple Kush Auto Feminised Seeds by Buddha Seeds | SeedSupreme

I know how to make clones on other plants, but can I take a leaf or something and use that to clone with, because it looks like from videos online that I will be tearing the plant apart to remove the buds. How do you start the plant from seed in a hydroponic system, grow it in soil first to develop the roots?

5. I'm also worried about smell, since I live in an apartment and our closet is next to the door/ Hallway of the building.

6. Don't know how much you smoke. i aim for a couple of ounces per plant but you may be limited by space.

You shouldnt get seeds unless something goes a bit wrong and your plant is pollinated or goes hermaphrodite.

definitely read a guide on harvesting and drying your bud but you usually dry for 5-7 days. you gotta judge it though

One thing to say is its not viable to take cuttings from an auto (as far as i know).

Take your cutting well before you harvest, before you even begin to flower. Take cuttings from vegetative growth on photoperiodic plants.

Not ideal. Look into a carbon filter and good extraction.

7. I was looking at grow tents, not sure how big I need yet, but not sure how carbon filters work, but I decided to put the grow tent deep inside the apartment next to my desk, so even if the window shades are open, you can't see it. Our hallway sometimes reeks of weed as someone is smoking it here.

I smoke about 1/2 to a whole bud in a weekend (2 days) between both of us, maybe a double that.

So should I just keep buying seeds? Also, where should I buy my seeds from?

8. Ye if you want to grow autos then you have to get seeds each time you want to grow a new plant unless you get into breeding. I'm on the other side of the pond so no idea where is best to get seeds over there

9. Can someone tell me if it's legal under the new law in Nevada to grow weed.

10. As far as seeds go i highly recomend nirvana. Youll get emails notifying you when payment has been received and when your order has shipped. I ordered some aurora indica last summer. Sent cash in a birthday card and received them in two weeks.

11. You want at least 2 square ft. per plant and youll need a little extra space for fans and possibly a humidifier with u being in nevada. So for four plants id go with 5 or 6 square ft. Better too much room than not enough.

12. Do they take debit card? I was looking at a 4'x4' grow tent.

13. Im not really sure. Just check the website.

14. My interpretation is like up to six usable plants per person, not in plain sight, strains not available in a dispensary within a 25 mile radius of where you live...Blah, Blah, Blah... I am in Northern Nevada
    20 things to know about legal marijuana in Nevada
    Q: Can I grow my own marijuana?
    A: Unless you live in the most rural parts of Nevada, the answer will likely be no.

To legally grow your own, you will have to live more than 25 miles from a marijuana dispensary. That eliminates the most populous chunks of Clark and Washoe counties — about 80 percent of the state’s population — as only a handful of towns are far enough away to grow in those counties.

Those who do live far enough away to grow marijuana legally will be allowed to grow up to 6 plants per individual, up to a maximum of 12 plants in residences with more than one person. Plants must be grown where they are not “visible from a public place by normal unaided vision,” according to the language in Question 2.