Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Getting a Tattoo While Stoned

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by fuji212, Dec 12, 2011.

1. im a seasoned toker but i have a question for you GC. im about to go get my 3rd tattoo in a few hours, and some of the artists i personally know tell me that getting super blazed before getting some work done is awesome. what are your thoughts on this?

i got my first 2 tattoos done while i was completely sober. the pain isnt bad or anything, i just kind of want to try it. everything's funner when your faded
    :smoke:

2. If your really seasoned then you wouldn't be asking this question..

The biggest difference is that your high..

3. I feel like I freak myself out, when I get a tat while blazed I anticipate the needle. But once its going I usually don't mind

4. dude god damn it...

Man if you wanna do it do it.

I don't see why you would feel the need to go stoned though. It probably won't be any more pleasurable.

5. That sounds really super painful.

Edit: Silly grasscity, ruins the point if it's not in all caps.

6. I think that if I were a tattoo artist, I would never tattoo anyone under the influence of anything. And it's not because I think weed automatically makes people make bad decisions or anything, but it's a really good way to get yourself in trouble. If the customer ends up hating the tatt, they can sue you if they can prove you knew they were under the influence, and proceeded anyway.

7. Which would get them into trouble in turn. If they were drunk or something I'd understand, but marijuana? Nah. Unless they flat out tell you, then I'd just stop lol.

8. Well, I'm a seasoned toker, and I also have several tattoos. I've gotten inked sober, and I've gotten inked while high. It really didn't make any difference either way. I think I would recommend not smoking a high end sativa before getting ink. It could raise your anxiety level which, in turn, can make it seem like it hurts more when it doesn't.

What are you getting, and where?

9. It wouldn't get them in trouble; it's not a crime to be high lol. But even beyond the liability issue, I'd also be against it on principle. When getting a tattoo one should be in their right mind. That's what I believe. Besides, getting a tattoo is an uncomfortable experience, and I wouldn't want to take the chance of some kid getting paranoid or freaking out while in the chair.

There are even more reasons to refuse a customer under the influence of alcohol. There is the issue of bad decisions of course, but there's also the issue that alcohol is a blood thinner and can cause excessive bleeding, which can screw up the process of tattooing.

Speaking of tattoos....I think I need another one. Dammit OP! Now you've got me wanting more ink.

10. Indica would be good there. I've not had any tattoos myself but I can imagine that the needles would sting somewhat. Whenever I smoke indica if I have some sort of pain it's still there, but it's more interesting than painful so it doesn't really bother me.

11. 13 tattoo's and was high for ALL of em.. Cant compare it to being sober.. But i find getting a tattoo extremely relaxing. The buzz of the machine, Layed back in the chair with some music on. Good shit!

12. Where on the body you're getting the tattoo, the artist's technique, and your unique pain tolerance dictates how much it hurts. But the type of pain is very similar to a constant bee sting or cat scratch.

13. Most that get tattoo's have a predetermined design.. So Whos to say i didnt pick it out sober then catch a buzz to help with the pain or anxiety? I personally would never get a "wall" tattoo.. No different then buyin a trendy t-shirt.. atleast you can change those!

14. I got mine blasted its so relaxing cuz after awhile the pain goes numb and you
    Just cruissseeeee

15. None the less, on principle I still wouldn't do it. Because when you start making exceptions you compromise your standards. Plus the art of tattooing is sort of losing its way as a legit profession; there are way too many bad tattoo artists out there that don't care, about anything they should care about.

Besides, if I were an artist I don't think I'd allow anything to help with the pain or anxiety, legal or not, affecting of the tattooing process or not. The pain and anxiety is part of the experience. If you can't handle it, you don't need a tattoo. And if you don't experience those things, in my mind I suppose I believe that you haven't really earned the tattoo.

I'm with you on the flash tattoos right off the wall. Pointless. If you're going to have something on your body forever, it should be something that actually means something to you.

16. The shop I got mine done at said don't be under the influence of anything because it makes you bleed more and they get mad. Other than that I bet it would be easier to get a tattoo while stoned. If you know the guy inking you up then I say go for it.

17. alcohol thins blood.. marijuana does not.. cocaine thins the blood.. marijuana does not.. aspirin thins the blood.. marijuana does not..

18. It does raise your blood pressure though :p

But that's not the point. It's a standard of professionalism that tattoo artists should hold themselves to. Because frankly, tattooing is a surgical procedure (minor as it may be), and god damn it, these "professionals" need to start treating it as such.

Besides, you start letting marijuana pass, you run the risk of getting your ass in legal trouble (not only if the customer later regrets it and makes a legal issue of it, but also if someone from the health department is lurking), and getting some kid who might get paranoid, or freak out.

Overall, it's just not a great idea, from the way I see it, if I were a tattoo artist.

19. Only risk to this that I'm aware of is that you might walk in and have a stoner moment then be like "Hey man, I want you to tattoo a cock on my forehead".

20. Ive gotten tattoo work done sober and baked, hungover and drunk, sober is the most pleasurable way. Though I enjoy the "sting" of getting tattood, It's relaxing and gives me a high of its own, so I prefer to be sober