Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Getting a friend high for the first time.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by gorillabiscuits, Aug 17, 2012.

1. How's it going GC. There's probably a lot of these posts.
    Me and a friend of mine have invited another friend over to smoke some bud for the first time. It's only just hit me that this isn't just going to be any old smoking session, and I'm probably going to need some tips to make this as enjoyable as possible for him.
    This friend, thus far, is straight edge. He's never inhaled anything but air, and that worries the hell out of me, I've never been great at explaining things. Anybody got any advice on how I can help this friend inhale properly with minimal coughing on his first time, and general tips for giving him a great experience to welcome him? :D

2. chill out in nature, or in a really safe chill spot so he wont get paranoid. Have a good peice that wont blow him away (maybe a good joint, or a bubbler), and hook him up with something to drink. Maybe some chill music and youve got a good time

3. -Be in a relaxing environment
    -Use a vaporizer for minimal throat burn (or use edibles)
    -Put some relaxing music on (Bob Marley and Coldplay are good)
    -Eat some good food

4. Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a good playlist set up and a lot of good food and drink. I don't own a vape, unfortunately :eek: So coughing is my main concern.

5. Tell him to inhale like it is his last breath of air he will ever take

6. My friend taught me how to inhale by punching me in the stomach once I hit it lol
    I bareassed his pillow later and farted after chipotle

7. He might not get high the first time. I didn't. Also took me a few times before I realized what a high feels like too.

8. Moderation..
    Too much and he might green out
    Too big of hits and he might cough uncontrollably

Don't fuck with him
    Leave some munchies out and just let him do his thing
    Be a good host

9. #9 StevenTyler77, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    Do not use edibles for his first time, even if by this you skip the coughing part. The high will be stronger, last longer and there will be considerable anxiety from his part to wait for the drug to kick in (could take even more than 45 minutes). I was once a straight-edge person and I wouldn't have appreciated a 6h+ edible high for my first time. Smoking is better, cause he can control just how high he wants to be.

I think that coughing is only a minor inconvenient. If he decided he wants to smoke, then he needs to be aware that he will cough a bit. It's not a big deal, after all. Just treat is as something natural. Maybe educate him about the physical effects of smoking (coughing, dry throat...) if he's not aware of them, so he doesn't panic over them. I coughed my lungs out when I first smoked, but I was expecting it, so I just drank a lot of water to calm down my throat and proceeded with the joint. Was it pleasant? No. Did it prevent me from enjoying my high? Not either.

Show him how to take a hit. Explain it to him beforehand. Take a hit yourself, so he can see how it's done. Nobody showed me how to do it, but watching people smoke weed on youtube helped me a lot. A live example will be even better.

Supply him with a lot of water and instruct him to drink regularly, perhaps after each hit. That helped to reduce the discomfort caused by smoking in my case, even on my first time.

He will probably screw up his first hits. Tell him that it's okay and go at his own pace. Most of all, enjoy yourselves and have a good time. Even if he doesn't get high his first time, he will at least spend an enjoyable evening and then come back for more...

If he manages to get high, make sure you spend your time in a pleasurable way. What are his expectations of being high? What would he like to do?

You might be worrying too much. Even if he has been a straight-edge person up until now, he must have his reasons for wanting to smoke now. What makes him want to smoke weed, after being a straight-edge person for so long? You know, I was a straight-edge person too (even refused to smoke when offered a joint a few years ago), but, when I decided that I really, really wanted to see what being high feels like, I was willing to put up with all the inconveniences and the unpleasantness of the act, as well as with my fears and anxieties.

10. What I did for one of my friend's first times is packed small, individual snap hits. At the end I threw in a big one that he was coughing from but he didn't really care. :p Also listen to StevenTyler77 ^^

11. Also, what helped me was to understand the technique of inhaling. At first, I couldn't push the smoke beyond my mouth, into my lungs. Then I read that I needed to actually take a hit, hold the smoke in my mouth, open my lips and suck in some air, in order to displace the smoke further. When I understood this, I was able to smoke really nicely... These might be things very obvious to regular smokers, but they are sometimes very obscure for non-smokers (especially if the said persons don't even smoke cigarettes), so explaining it can only be for the better...

12. I just tell people to inhale like they are sucking through a straw

13. Play video games in case he freaks out. Video games can calm anyone down as long as they are focussed on them.

14. That's a horrible idea because when sucking through a straw you don't inhale, you simply pull the material into your mouth. You want to make sure they know its different from that and that it needs to go past their mouth and into their lungs, deep deep down.

15. he's gonna caugh like shit no matter what... he's inhaling smoke.. my 1st time i burnt the shit out of my lungs and caughed for like 30mins but i swear it was the highest i've ever been :]

16. [quote name='"punk960"']My friend taught me how to inhale by punching me in the stomach once I hit it lol
    I bareassed his pillow later and farted after chipotle[/quote]

What kind of friend is that id be pissed

17. Tell him to hit it until his mouth is almost full and then remove the piece and breath in. My first time I didn't really understand how to take a hit and I ended up swallowing the smoke.

18. Agreed, I saw a bunch of non smoke'n buddies eat some cookies on a camping trip. Like everyone of them tripped out harsh. One thought the other looked like their cousin, one saw bees coming out of anothers head.. all sorts of weird wacky stuff I didn't think was possible from weed..

I would have thought it was all BS except these buddies are like brothers to me, they don't bullshit me..

So yeah.. I agree, first time probably isn't the best for edibles.. haha

19. Yup, edibles are out of the question. I tried edibles early in my weed days and it wasn't too fun. The reason I don't want to fuck this up so badly is because me and my friend are always telling this guy our stories, and how great the herb is and he's finally decided it's time for him to try it. I worry that if anything were to go wrong he'd just forget about it and never try it again and he'd miss out BIG time. :eek: Something that I've been thinking about is the "You don't get high first time" idea, is there any evidence of this even being true, or is it more because people not inhaling right?

20. [quote name='"gorillabiscuits"']Yup, edibles are out of the question. I tried edibles early in my weed days and it wasn't too fun. The reason I don't want to fuck this up so badly is because me and my friend are always telling this guy our stories, and how great the herb is and he's finally decided it's time for him to try it. I worry that if anything were to go wrong he'd just forget about it and never try it again and he'd miss out BIG time. :eek: Something that I've been thinking about is the "You don't get high first time" idea, is there any evidence of this even being true, or is it more because people not inhaling right?[/quote]

It's not that they don't inhale right it's most likely the swallowed the smoke instead of inhaling it at all