Get The U.S. Out Of The U.N.?

Discussion in 'General' started by stoned budda, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Should the United States pull out of the United Nations?

What do they do for us, for for anyone except right mean spirited letters called resolutions.

Here is a chart of the top contributors to the UN.

Jut a wee disproportionate wouldn't you say?

Top 10 Member States in assessment for the UN regular budget, 2005
    <TABLE borderColor=#336699 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="69%" align=center border=2><TBODY><TR class=contents bgColor=#ffffff><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3 height=24>
    Assessment rates/amount
    </TD></TR><TR class=contents bgColor=#cccccc><TD width=150>Country</TD><TD width=138>(per cent)</TD><TD width=94>($millions)</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>United States</TD><TD>22.00</TD><TD>362.7</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Japan </TD><TD>19.47</TD><TD>279.6</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Germany </TD><TD>8.66</TD><TD>124.4</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>United Kingdom </TD><TD>6.13</TD><TD>88.0</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>France</TD><TD>6.03</TD><TD>86.6</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Italy </TD><TD>4.89</TD><TD>70.2</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Canada </TD><TD>2.81</TD><TD>40.4</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Spain </TD><TD>2.52</TD><TD>36.2</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>China</TD><TD>2.05</TD><TD>29.5</TD></TR><TR class=contents><TD>Mexico</TD><TD>1.88</TD><TD>27.0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. So you are saying that an assesment rate of 22% from a country that represents 5% of the world population is a bad thing? And isn't it better to influence the UN from the inside, than risk the isolation of being ostracised from the international community? Need I remind you that the US is not that popular right now, and your economy is in the hands of the chinese and various other countries (EU) that could bankrupt you tomorrow...

3. No, I wouldn't, actually.

4. I thought this thread was going to be about how the US shouldn't be allowed to be in the UN

To be a member these two things need to be met:
    USA is anything but a peace-loving nation, and we have continuously proved that over the past 50 years.

5. hahaha britain isn eve in there cheap bastards :hello:

6. To put it mildly, the UN charter is "flexible". It might be worded quite precise, but in practice, it isn't much heeded. To allow dialogue, compromise, not confrontation by war.

7. Please kick us out, please!

8. You do know who the United Kingdom is right?

Anyway, The UN is one of the few reasons Our economy hasn't collapsed entirely. The weight that we pull in the UN allows us to still have a say in International politics. We already ignore UN sanctions and resolutions when they inconvenience us So leaving the UN wouldn't really change anything for the positive. 362.7 million dollars really isn't much compared to the amount of money we piss away on the War in Iraq or the War on Drugs.

Unless you think Isolationism would work for the US then leaving the UN is a bad idea. Isolationism would be a bad thing as we really don't manufacture anything any more and prices would skyrocket if had to go back to manufacturing.

9. Jesus Christ! I never really knew how shitty the U.N. was until now.
    Thanks for the links SB, I'm gonna spread those around like cancer. +rep

10. Time to grab a pallet of jiffy and make a trip to the congo

11. Thats the problem man, no one ever heres about this shit because the liberal media is biased.

12. Well... now Im not to sure the media is too liberal. If anything FOX is one of the most right wing, NeoCon controlled media outlets out there. CNN is a bunch of saggy tit bastards beating dead horse all day. We lose no matter what, "fair and balanced" is inexistent.

13. I agree fox leans right, and cnn and pmsnbc leans left. The Alphabet channels are completely unreliable

I dont mean being liberal in your views is wrong, fuck I'm on a pro pot web site, i mean liberal in the sense that they think only the international community can solve our problems.
    A new world order government is their ultimate goal, that to them is the ultimate big government to solve all their problems. Which is fine if it would work, but in reality all your doing is creating another monster because all you do when you give that much power is make a fertile ground for corruption.

14. whats your problem with britain? in the modern day anyway? get over it.

15. his problem with britain is that he had no idea its also called the united kingdom.

16. aha ;)

17. There's ignorance on both sides of the pond, sorry.

18. lol where did i say there wasnt?

i mean just generally, i love america, not what its becoming but still, i have no problem with em except government, i dont like my own either, i unno i just felt hes someone who's all "boom, america own the world bitch".

I dont want this turning into a 'bash britain' kinda thing, i only came in because you guys were talking about the U.N and all he came in to do was have a little dig at Britain ya know.

19. No, no offense. i was just apoligizing for his ignorance, im sorry if it came off the other way.