Germination timing?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Jakefromstatefarm86, Jul 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I soaked the seeds over night and each sprouted a tail, i put them into happy frog, they spent the last 24 hrs in a diy humidity dome and thats been under the light for 16/8 bc my timer is trash and i didnt know how to work it and instead of 18, i set it for 16...anyway...they have been under 2 16 hr periods now and haven't broke the dirt yet. Ive made sure to keep it warm and humid....is this normal, should everything be fine within the next day or so?

2. Should be anytime.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. as @Archer as said any time now ,,seed is putti g down its tap root so dont go digging in you potting soil looking for it else you could break the taproot ,, ,,luck ..mac,

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I've only had one seed germinate within a 24 hour period. The planted seeds could take several days to pop up. Be patient.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Takes 3 days...

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have killed a couple doing that when I first started. I was warned but I didn't believe it. I have actually broke one's tail putting the germinated seed in the dirt :(. I am much better now lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks ppl. I appreciate it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. I soak in bathwater warm water for 8-10 hrs or until the seeds sink. When they sink they are fully saturated. I try to NEVER let the tail pop as it's just too easy to fuck it up.

Most plant them wrong anyway as the tap root grows UP first and them makes a U and goes straight down. When it is deep enough it straightens the U out to pop the seedling above the surface.

With the tail popped most will plant with with the tap facing down exactly the opposite of what the seed is trying to do.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mfin wetdog for the win. Always helpful info my brother. Luckily for me, i didnt wanna damage the tail so i gently tipped the paper towel over into the hole and lightly covered the seed. Doesnt mean theyre all in correct position BUT I didnt make the mistake of tail down so theres a plus. My dumb ass is always to smoked out and have ALWAYS been horrible with numbers as you can tell by my 10 cups of neem that was supposed to be 20% but my dumb ass set the timer for 16/8 rather than 18/6 so now im patiently waiting to see how that affects things, shouldnt be an issue...question wett, should i keep the seedlings in the diy dome I made or is the 4×4 good enough to keep things the way theyll want they'll want them? Im reading high temp and high humidity and i think I can keep it at a higher humidity in the dome. Thoughts?

10. I had damping off problems until I lost the dome and added air circulation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Im undecided. Idk if i wanna take it off or leave it on. Ive seen vids with the dome looking like a sauna and others where the seedlings just sat in an open room under a light...im confused and thinking its more about gaining hands on experience and finding out what works best for me and my plants....the information you guys are giving me is helping so that way i can gain that experience..so thank you all again!

12. I just pop my seedlings ~1/2 inch into seedling mix, water, and wait. 3-4 days later and they pop. I've had damn good success rate with this, so haven't bothered trying out the paper-towel or soak in water methods. From the time I have them in the soil until I feel they are ready to move into the tent, I have them under cool-white LED strips in a small plastic tented greenhouse that doubles as a Martha for my mushroom hobby.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I see many new growers make that mistake and keep sprouts in a humidity dome. It's OK to leave it on until they break ground but once they do they need fresh air and circulation to avoid damping-off, heck I even train a fan to blow air straight on them as soon as they are out, this helps them grow stronger and avoid the floppy seedling syndrome.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Makes super sense scoobie. I can dig that way of lookin at it. Im on it. Ty broski's

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looks like the shell of one barely broke ground. Not sure bc its dirty and i cant be 100 percent sure...but it looks like one did break the surface, ONE of the seeds had a much longer tap root then the others so im assuming thats the one that popped up. The temp was 93degrees...is that too hot or just good enough?

16. That's really, really hot man. Not going to sugar coat it, I'm surprised they popped.

I like to germinate between 75-80. I'd do whatever it takes to cool them down a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Copy...theyve been at those temps for 3 days bc my air conditioners didn't show up from walmart until yesterday....do you think theyll be ok since temps down? Or are they trash? The seedlings will be weak?

18. Lets see if they pull through first.
    Good luck. I'm rooting for ya

• Like Like x 2
  19. Copy that broseph. Eyes toes and fingers crossed. Smoke one for the seedlings who didnt make it R.I.P.

20. Still NOTHING. Just looks the same as if one of the seedlings tried to barely break ground but is at the exact same level as before. Nothing else has changed. Do you guys think i killed the seeds bc the temps were at 95degrees? Or will they possibly still make it in a day or so?