Germination problem?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JamesBrown420, Mar 7, 2014.

1. #1 JamesBrown420, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    I was Germinating a seed and it sprouted. The root is almost out of the seed shell but it hasnt grown at all. its been in the same state for about a week.

Should i keep germinating it or plant it and go on from there?

2. Are you using the wet paper towel method? I've discovered that its best to not check the seed itself extremely often. If you unfold the wet paper towel and expose the seed and emerging taproot to air and light it seems to hinder or stunt the growth of the taproot compared to just leaving it untouched for at least 3-4 days in a dark warm environment. Other problems could be the paper towel is too wet. Or as mentioned before, your environment might not be warm enough. It could also be an old or stubborn seed.

If you are using the paper towel try placing it in an area thats dark and between 70 and 78 degrees. Let it sit for 3 days without disturbing it. After those three days if it hasn't changed go ahead and try planting it just to give it one last shot at life. If it dont sprout aftwr 2-3 additional days toss it. By that time the inside of the seed is probably mushy and rotten anyways. I like my emerging taproots to be between a half inch minimal to an inch before I plant.

If it dont work dont worry. Sometimes seeds that germ slow lead to unhealthy less vigorous plants. Just try with more seeds and if your environment is right I promise success.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. Shit... I had like... let's see. 2 back in january, and.. 4 this month. in total, 5 seeds, exactly the same as yours. sprouted, but didnt get and longer/bigger and looked like it just stopped. I basically tried everything the poster above me mentioned, but nothing fucking helped. They were decent ass strains too so I was kinda upset but whatever.

The strains that didn't germinate:
    2x Green Love Potion
    2x World of seeds strawberry blue
    1x Northern Blue light Auto

4. If you are using the paper towel method you are going to want to plant your seeds as soon as the taproot emerges. Otherwise you could risk damaging the micro-roots, which can cause a stunt in germination and also stress the plant out a lot. 

5. Yea man it sucks when seeds dont germ well. I've lost rare genetics and things for breeding projects that really bummed me out. Haha damn. Ima take a rip for all the unfortunate seeds that never reached potential.

6. Screw the paper towel method. soak in a pill bottle 24 hours on top of a cable box dvr or other warm electronic. Plant in a solo cup of soil 1/8" deep and cover with a sandwich bag and put in a warm spot, at first sign of a sprout take the bag off and leave it off and place under the lights.

7. I've seen you do that

8. would that work for outdoors as well?

Who Dat!

9. @[member="GrassCityGenetics"] Thanks for the help :)

10. No problem yo. You're welcome.

11. I'm with Snoop, soak it for 24 hrs then right into your medium. I was going into solo cups but was still having some seeds not crack. I changed up to a seedling tray with a dome on a heat mat. It has helped a lot!!

12. #12 4ala2sk0a, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    I agree with seed soaking. Get it nice and wet then plants that seed.

A 1/8 inch? I ushally go deeper. Could that mess with my germination rate?

Could a seedlings die before it finds its way up?
    Does sound unnatural for a seed to be planted deeper than 1/8.. like unless trampled on in nature.

I made myself a nice tote for my seedlings to live in.

13. This is what I do:
    1. soak seed in shot glass over night\t
    2. transfer to a paper wet paper towel once taproot appears\t
    3. wait for taproot to grow about half an inch and then put it in rockwool under the light

Yeah...but if it rains it'll ruin your cable box or DVR.... :hide:  Best to just do it inside, then take them outside and transplant them to soil if that's what you were gonna do. lol.