Germination in paper towel newbie question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FRANMACHINE, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Hey Grasscity! 

I've been trying to germinate my seeds which are 2 yrs++ old and so far, none have been germinating and it has been 10 days! Some have tap roots that slightly emerged but have stopped progressing. 

How wet should the paper towel be? I soak mine in distilled water just enough for it to not drip! But this medium hasn't been working for me and I feel like maybe the seeds are drowning? Now, ive soaked the paper towels and squeeze it out right. Will it be too dry? Placed 10 seeds in this one (paper towel is a bit bigger than my palm.)

2. Use tap water for germination.  They love it.  The seeds are a bit old and may take longer than usual.  It's hard to say.  Keep them moist, but not too wet and make sure they are in a dark space that is warm.

3. and its not just paper towel. you wet the towel, ring it out, and then place it in a sandwich bag folded over(not sealed).

Put it behind a tv or xbox thats on frequently.check back in 3 days, if nothing wait another three days, if still nothing, try different seeds.  that will work 100% of the time

4. That's more steps than I take.  I use straight paper towel uncovered in a tupperware and stick it in one of the cabinets in the kitchen.  I may add a little water it the towel starts to dry, but they usually have tails (taproots) within 24 hours (48 being the longest I have had to wait).  Same success rates dictate we are both doing it wrong.  More on your side since you are wasting baggies.  ;)

5. #5 Joghorn, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    ah fuck man you got me, Prophessor, im losing my nuts on those $1 dollar a box baggies that i use once every three months. lol

I only put em near the tv or xbox cuz its warmer than the open air. seeds like dark and kinda warm, and you can reuse a plastic baggie, which is cheaper than tupperware and chances are he already has them.

and same success rate of 100% means that we are both doing it right, and theres more than one right way to do it. same with many other aspects of growing

6. lots of people including myself do this super secret technique. Shhhhh don't tell anyone......
    Step#1 stick seed in soil
    Step#2 grow seed into plant

.shhhhh don't tell anyone. I know I know over complicated and way too many demanding steps, but its been working since the beginning of time so its a proven method. You haven't even heard the best part of this technique yet listen to this>>>>> here it goes try and keep up>>>>if the seed is good it will sprout, if the seed is bad it will not*.

*This technique has at least 200 -278% success rate unless the seed is bad then it doesn't have a chance

I know I blew you all away with this info please keep the applause to a minimum

7. #7 Mad_Prophessor, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    I like knowing that it popped BEFORE I go wasting my time with dirt and floor space.  I don't like staring at dirt wondering if there is a good seed in there.  That is just me tho.  I'm done with seeds for a while.  After the next batch of girls, I'm going to clones.

8. #8 brixfix, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    that's a great reason to do it the way you do. For me its not an issue. I normally grow from clone so the few times i put a seed down is not a big deal. Put 3 Barney's LSD down last night (3am lol). Less then 1 square foot and 15 minutes of my time that I would of spent in there looking for something to do anyways. I did soak them for a couple hours to make sure they sank which I don't always do, just depends. Even if I hadn't its still no big. Spend just as much time soaking or paper toweling then transplanting to soil as I would just putting in soil in the 1st place and I don't care about floor space because its not very often or very much. This is one of those things where there's no right or wrong, there's just a few different ways.

Attached Files:

9. thats how I do it too only I use a plate ;)

10. Floor space is a valuable commodity in my world!

Attached Files: