Germination Help (pics)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mcnukkah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. IF YOU DON'T READ AT LEAST LOOK AT THE PICTURE AND OFFER SOME ADVICE / THOUGHTS

I have zero problems germinating.  The seeds push through and cotyledons sprout, but then once they hit that phase they just kind of whither away.  I've been away from growing for a good deal of time, so I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong.  I used a humidity dome (just one of those cheap-o ones at lowes to germinate / sprout, and then two big coffee cups (imagine the venti cups at starbucks) with a sandwhich bag to trap in moisture once they sprout.

The picture below is what happens to them.  The strain is (was :mad: ) super lemon haze.  A strain I grew awihle back and fell in love with.  The temps in the area where I grow have been 74-82, and a good level of humidity as there is always moisture on the bags.

I'm using a lamp from HTG that has 4 two foot high output blue spectrum bulbs about 1.5-2 feet away from the top of the soil that the little sprouts are in.  The soil is a mixture of mushroom compost and jungle growth (organic).

I do add a little bit of superthrive to my spray bottles that I hydrate the soil with, as well as the original bit of water I add to the soil prior to dropping the seeds in...

I've tried the dome method (100% success, same wilting problem) and the paper towel method.  I'm in the middle of the paper towel method (it pushed it's taproot today so I dropped her into some soil in a coffee cup setup mentioned above.)

IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG

2. odds are ur medium is too hot. that's my first guess. also scrap that bag method. it can be just as harmful as it can be helpful.

3. idk what jungle growth is but it sounds like nutrients, you're probably burning them

4. #4 Mcnukkah, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    Medium too hot could be a possibility.  What is the downside to the bag method?  Suffocation?

Link to jungle growth:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203239268?productId=203239268&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203239268&ci_src=17588969&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203239268&ci_gpa=pla#.UhfEEj_3MWc

I really appreciate the feedback guys, you're all at least giving me ideas and reinforcing some of the ones I already had in regards to this problem.

I will try and get the temps down, and nix the bag method.  The last time I had the bags off too long (as I had tried to see if it was the bags doing it) I came back to drooping sprouts.  Once I replaced the dome they stood back up.  I have one survivor so far out of 3  2 x lemon haze (goners), and blue venom (hanging in there...)

Edit:  Is it possible to burn with superthrive?  That's the only "nutrient" I've been using.

I will add a picture of my makeshift domes....

IMG_0212.JPG

Two cups, one whole one, one cut in half with the bag attached to it and holes in the bag.  The cup with the bag just slides in and rests lightly on the edges of the soil.

5. Update.

After work and once I took the humidity dome off of the one surviving sprout, it began to do the same thing as the other sprouts.  The actual leaves (not the cotys) almost go in the exact reverse of what they do when they're growing normally.  I went ahead and uprooted the last SLH sprout I had.  Picture attached.

I'm kind of at a loss here.  Temps are now at 80, max, soil temp is below that.  Added a 2nd fan to circulate a little more air (even though they're all under the humidity domes now), but more for the temp.

This soil medium has never given me this much trouble and I never recall it being so damn difficult to get them growing healthy after they sprouted.

Step by step I either:
    Soak paper towel, 4 or 5 folds, filtered water, let it get to room temp, place seed in it, wrap that in foil, set somewhere warm, like the top of a pc or something.  They germinate and push the taproot, plop them in the soil a little ways down, loosely cover, keep it humid and give'em light.

My other method is seed right into soil in humidity dome and just wait and watch.

They sprout, and then slowly begin to die somehow....

Picture of the uprooted dearly departed. 
    IMG_0216.JPG

6. Try growing your superiors in nothing but sphagnum peat moss, that's what I use and has given me great results. transplant after about two weeks into your soil mix.

The first pic is from a sprout that I grew in sphagnum peat moss. The second pic is after I popped out into my soil; it really took well!

7. Try growing your superiors in nothing but sphagnum peat moss, that's what I use and has given me great results. transplant after about two weeks into your soil mix.

The first pic is from a sprout that I grew in sphagnum peat moss. The second pic is after I popped out into my soil; it really took well!

8. #8 myucussman, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
    The first 2 are in peat moss. The 3rd is after the transplant.

Attached Files:

9. #9 Kubrick, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
    From the pics it could be damping off. If you have been starting them in that same soil I would ditch it. Could also be that the soil is too hot like others have said. Try sterilized starter cubes or something like coco.The humidity dome could have been adding fuel to the fire. If the soil is contaminated with mold or fungus, that super moist and humid environment could be making it worse. Also water the starting medium before you drop the seed in and be very conservative with watering until you see the plant establish itself. If you are still set on using the dome, spray the top of the plastic wrap rather than the medium itself.Did you add drainage holes to the cups? Can't tell from the pics but the one with the dome doesn't look it.

thats damping off...dont water so much and you dont need to mist anything and no humidity dome...the first water should last a week or so your medium needs to dry out

11. Thank you again GC.  I may figure this out with your help after all.  Cheers.