Germination complete

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Stoner420Chick, Mar 1, 2008.

1. I germinated 8 seeds, today 5 of them seemed to have grown a little root. So I took two of them and put them in a plastic cup each filled with miracle grow. I had the soil watered before putting the seeds in, and then I put a piece of plastic wrap over each cup. Now a couple of days ago I was planning on going to the store and buying a light so I could grow something, but because of car problems I couldn't, and won't be able to for a couple more days. I have a desk lamp with a 100W soft white light bulb, will this work temporarily?? Or will the heat ruin the plants? Also, how long should it be before I see something pop up??

I am only going to grow one plant, and I plan on using LST. How much room should I have for the plant to grow nicely??

Any help or suggestions or tips would be great:hello:

2. 1st. dont use incandescent light it will just cause them to stretch to hell, plus those bulbs get really hot and will burn them.if there is a compact flouro somewhere in the house and use that... if not idk borrow one or something...... i guess usually averages 3-5 days for sprouts to come up.

2nd. one plant is a bad idea i would do 2 to be sure you dont get a male. if you do all that time is wated a space no smaller than 3'x3x3' but i could be wrong hope that helps ya out.

3. OK, I'll try and find another bulb somewhere else. Might be hard to do though. Is a light really needed before they sprout?

4. Right now I have two planted in hopes of getting one. As soon as they start growing and I can determine the sex I will keep the healthiest female and kill the other. Hopefully I get a good one.

5. well the seds dont need light while in the dirt but, they should come up into it. Your going to vegg. them until they get some siz before sexing right?

6. For a couple days until you get something better, a desk lamp is fine. I use desklamps with 23 watt CFL's to germinate seeds and root cuttings all the time. For any kind of long term use, yes, incandescents are crap, but just to use for a few days until you get something better is fine.

Miracle grow soil may be a problem. I grow hydro, so I don't know much about soil, but others say it can burn young seedlings.

You want to plant all the seeds that sprout. There is nothing like spending months raising a young plant only to learn it's male. You might get lucky, but why depend on luck if you don't have to?

7. With 2 plants there is still a 25% chance of both being male.

8. you probably dont need a light right away
    but once the plant is about 1-2 inches out of the soil
    id get some light for it
    CFLs are also good to use they would work in your desk lap
    and you can get those at like walmart or cvs