Germinating

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Temporarilycoldturkey, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    I got some seedsman white widow I germinated. All the conditions seem to be fine, about 80(f) and paper towels stayed moist. I am germinating eight seeds and within 72 hours two of them blew up and I put them in rapid rooters they seem fine and are sitting about 30" under an LED.
    The thing is it's been a week since I first started and the other six seeds are not moving. Three of them are still in the moist paper towel with no signs of cracking, two of them cracked but for two days didn't show growth so I put them in rapid rooters a few days ago and nothing has showed itself and another one had about a 1/2" of root coming out when I put it in a rapid rooter four days ago but it too has not sprouted either.

I guess I am just wondering if it is normal for the bags to be inconsistent like this? I read some other posts and people were saying that all their seeds sprouted fine.

2. So far everything from seedsman(never done WW though) has basically been ready to go after 48 hours in paper towels for me. I did have 1 take 5 days to break ground though after popping. Thought it died, so I germed another, and when I went to plant it presto, there it was. So now I have 5 in cups and only a 4x4 tent. Sigh, first world problems.

Your answer is 12 out of 12 germed in 2 days for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If they dont germinate get in touch with Seedsnan in my experience most seed banks will happily replace shady seeds . Good Luck

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ditch the paper towel and place seed directly into the rapid rooters.......no need to pre-germinate.
    I get close to 100%.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Germination rates vary dramatically from breeder to breeder conditions are big factors too jiffy pellets or rapid rooters will give you a better chance at good germ rates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks. I'm not sure what it can be. I put them in paper towels in the dining room - so they are at room temp (76f) to germinate, which seems like it is perfect for germinating. I cracked open the rapid rooters I transferred them to this morning and there has been absolutely no progress. The rapid rooters never came anywhere close to drying out, if anything they' re too wet. I just don't remember having any of these problems when working with regular seeds years ago.

I have another pouch of Seedsman, Sugar Haze, that I am going to try and germinate. Hopefully I get better results. Seeds take such a long time to arrive in the mail and cost so much, plus I've invested about $1,000 getting my setup where it is, I really hope I can pull this off.

7. My seeds soak in a shot glass with a little Rhizotonic. When they crack, I drop them in my medium.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. That's interesting. I was just reading this article of a pretty detailed feeding schedule where they use that, or a version of it, in their coco recipe. This is my first grow in quite some time but I saved it to "advance" my nutes and schedule over time. I might buy that stuff tho. Right now I am focusing on just sticking with a basic H3ad formula.

Thanks for pointing this stuff out!

9. That's the right path until you get a grow or two of re-experience. Rhiz is great for early growth and I feel that it is a quality product. Good luck.

10. Okay. So none of my other White Widows have made any progress they are just sitting in their rapid rooters - one of them has about a half inch root that is not budging but also not discoloring and another one is even more perplexing, it has the two sprout leaves showing but absolutely no root. It's weird, they just popped right out of the shell and there is a little green to them but also have not progressed in the past two days.

Anyways, I decided to try and germinate eight of my Seedsman Sugar Haze. I put them in paper towel for about 36 hours and just placed them in rapid rooters this morning. I'm worried about them too though cuz tho a few of the shells seem to have cracked there was no further progress. I also am germinating three Humbolt Seed Organization - Lemon Thai Kush, I didn't paper towel these at all but just threw them in rapid rooters per @MickFoster recommendation.

I'm kinda anxious. When I grew shwag the germination process was the least of my concerns and never offered any surprises, plus the seeds were free and I had an abundance, This time around tho I spent nearly $200 on 31 seeds and am in the process of germinating half of them without much success. Just not what I expected.

I got two small seedlings going that are on about day 6 but that's out of eight seeds. Anyways, just venting but would love to hear any thoughts, if there are any.

rapid.jpg IMG-4608.jpg IMG-4609.jpg