germinating..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by automatic3233, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hi guys, im new to the community im staring my very first grow. Very very exited!!!.. well my question is. ive used the paper towel method in germinating and work pretty good i just drop my bean in FFOF should i wait till it sprouts to put it under a 400 watt metal halide.. or go ahead and just put under there now..thanks guys any help will be appreciated..happy growings!!

2. if its in the soil you can put it under the light now. but keep it far away or dim it because that 400w may be too much at first

3. Thank you i appreciate it, i currently have it at 75% and about 2 feet away from them. temps are at about 75 Degrees .does that sound right...again thanks

4. You can try the 75% but I think most start at 50% just to acclimate them to their environment. 75 degrees is nice temp so if you dont see any ill signs of heat/light stress soon then go for it

5. Kool, thanks

6. I wouldnt use FFOF for germination... dont have that soil where I live, but from everything Ive read its too strong for seedlings. Ive also read that its better even for older plants when mixed with light warrior, so it might be a good idea to get some of that, germinate in it and later tranplant to a mix.
    personally I germinate by soaking in water for 24 hours and then planting in peat pellets... peat pellets contain pretty much no nutrients at all and have great germination rates.

7. or going with Fox Farm Happy Frog :) That what I used 100% germinated added perlite

8. Thanks guys for the great advice... im actually doing some what of a test run.. im trying several ways of germinating to see what best works for me.long story short i bought 5 beans of jock horror. And put them to germinate in small coco pellets in a prapogator i purchased its been 14 days and only 1 has sprouted.. all are under the same conditions..on the hand i was skeptical about the paper towel scenario. I try it yesterday for the fist time when i got up this morning the 3 beans had tap roots.. i was in shock.. so i droped one in FFOF to see what happens..ill keep u posted on my grow..thanks

9. i have nirvana ice seed. germinated , seen white taproot and transplanted to bubbler. 1 week later and it is not growing? 135 watt led light 18inches away 80 degrees 45 persent humidity. i lookid at root again no realy growing. could some please help?

10. not sure what you mean by bubbler...but the tap root usually grows noticably in a matter of hours. if it hasnt grown in a week, its dead either because you broke it or because something about the water (?) it was in wasnt right, such as pH, temperature or aeration. btw 18 inches is way too far for an LED light, always keep any lights as close as possible without burning the plants. well, maybe a little further for germination.

11. You might have killed it during the transfer it usually takes me a day or two 3 max for a sprout... sorry bro...what are u using to transfer ?

12. just checked it, now the first set of true leaves have brown burnt spots? is it dead or is ph a problem? im ready to give up on the phuckin thing. im going to start over. could someone please tell me there way of germinating a seed, i plan on useing rockwool in 3inch pot net with clay pellets in bubble bucket dwc. also how far up do i fill bucket with water and water temp? ph and how often do i check it, room temp, humidty, and when to i give it its first feeding. gh floria a and b, cal/mag? thanks for the help gc.

13. lol rly, you think switching to hydro is gonna make anything easier? xD
    nah man, what you gotta do is switch to a truly organic soil mix, check out the organics section. germinate by soaking in water for a day, then into peat pellets.
    we cant diagnose anything without pics. brown spots can mean different things depending on where theyre located. pH problems are always likely and can only be diagnosed by you measuring your water, runoff and if youre feeding also your nutrient solution.

14. Not trying to be an ass, but your going to run hydro and can't get a seed to germ. Get used to killing plants for awhile. It takes time to learn to grow.

Germ. A seed is simple. Take a seed, place it on a wet paper towel. Put the paper towel in a plastic bag. Place the plastic bag on a plate. Then put the plate in a warm, dark area in your house. Then check to see if your paper towel is drying out, keep it moist and warm.

15. this is my second grow first was bagseed and very happy with outcome. now i have narvana ice and have major problems. pic coming soon

16. not the best advice... paper towel is not a great method cuz it involves unnecessaty risk of mechanical damage and the possibility of the paper towel containing chemical residues harmful to the sprout. also "warm" is bad advice cuz too warm can kill sprouts by boosting bacterial growth. just room temperature is fine (18-25 C)

17. dude we cant look at your email stuff, upload it to this site -.-