Germinating. Question on lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ncs081684, Jun 30, 2015.

1. I currently have decided to leave my lights in. 18/6 for vege.

Do I use this system while the seeds are germinating. Or do I have the lights on 24/7 until the seeds sprout. And then do I switch to 18/6 after it sprouts?

Thanks

2. #2 jay719, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    You can turn the lights off until the seeds sprout as long as temps aren't too cold. The only benefit a light would give to germinating seedlings is a little bit of heat. There is no need for light until you have sprouted plants with leaves to absorb it. After they sprout is when you want to either use 24/0 or 18/6.

3. I'm confused. I thought you need the lights on for germination? That way the seed travels to the light , top,of the soil, so it can eventually sprout?

So your saying I just put the seed in damp soil. Cover with plastic wrap. And it will do its thing?

4. No, you do not need the light for germination. The seed grows upwards as as reaction to gravity, it is referred to as gravitropism or geotropism. Light has nothing to do with the process.
    Yep that is all you need to do. Successful germination is more about maintaining good temperature, moisture, and air.