germinating old seeds

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by jonnybegoode, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ive got a bunch of old seeds from the 70's and 80's my dad gave me, he said he used to keep the seeds whenever he got really good bud, i litterally have a baggy full of them, but i havent had any luck getting any to germinate ive tried multiple methods, anybody have any suggestions??

2. giberillc acid at @ 5 -10 parts per million

take the seeds freeze em overnight. The next day take em out , scuff em, then soak em in the Ga solution for 24 hours. After that... germ as normal.

they could be dead FYI ( most will be in fact) seeds only have an "unprotected" shelf life of about 5 years...

3. I've successfully germinated 20 year old seeds but in general what wharfy says is correct with regards to 'shelf life.'

4. where can i get giberillic acid??

5. after soaking in the ga solution what germination method do you think would be most effective??

6. As stated the biggest thing with old seeds is the germination percent drops. I tried to get some 10 plus year old seeds to germ and a good number of them didn't happen then some that did germ didn't crack the soil. I did get a couple to come up though. Just work at it some of those old seeds could be something real cool.

I will have to check out that GA and give it a try. Thanks for the info Wharf.

7. I had 5+ year old seeds from my uncle and none of them sprouted (out of about 50)... I don't think they were stored ideally because I had some 5+ year old seeds of my own and had 90% germination.

8. found this info after i ordered the stuff and thought you guys might find it usefull:

Effects of Gibberellic Acid
    1.Overcoming dormancy. Treatment with high concentrations of GA is effective in overcoming dormancy and causing rapid germination of seed. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.
    2.Premature flowering. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA to young plants. This action is not sustained and treatment may have to be repeated. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm., female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. Concentrations of more than 600 ppm markedly suppresses initiation of both male and female flowers.
    3.Increased fruit set. When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless. GA has increased the total yield in greenhouse tomato crops both as a result of increased fruit set and more rapid growth of the fruit.
    4.Hybridizing. Pollination within self-incompatible clones and between closely related species may some times be forced by the application of GA and cytokinin to the blooms at the time of hand pollination.
    5.Increased growth. GA applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season. In a Department of Agriculture experiment, the GA was applied as a 1% paste in a band around the terminal bud of trees. Treatment was repeated three times during the summer. Walnut tee growth was 8.5 ft. for treated trees, 1.5 ft. for untreated trees.
    6.Frost protection. Spraying fruit trees at full-blossom or when the blossoms begin to wither can offset the detrimental effects of frost.

9. ^^+rep^^

only a few reasons to use Ga on Cannabis

A. sprouting ( as we have been talking about)
    B. to make females produce stamens for feminized seeds.
    C. to stop seed maturation. ( yes you can abort seed production if you mess up ..but it really is a science to do so)

Wharf

10. have you ever heard of anybody using it to speed up growth in very small doses? i was reading some stuff about somebody spraying their plant with it like two weeks into flowering to increase bud size.

11. nope ..never..

BTW.... NOW you have the rep. My bad :eek:

12. after i soak my seeds in the ga solution how should i germ them? in a damp paper towel, submerge them in water or what?

13. just like you would do normally

14. That's pretty wild growing seeds that old....kinda cool...BOL with them !

15. how do i scuff them? i dont wanna ruin the seeds??

16. sand paper inside a pill bottle works for me(along the sides@ about 100 grit)..

just toss in the the seeds, and shake for a few minutes...