Germenation problems..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mistertoke, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Im new to growing. I smoke the herb and love it and i decided to experiment with growing with some bag seeds. But every time i get my plants about 3 inches tall they shrivel up...Im growing them outdoors and its usually about 80 degrees here. I give them the recomended amount of water but they still seem to vanish after they hit 3 inches. I germenate them in a plastic bag then transfer them into a pot with my homade fertilizer. They get plenty of sunlight. The only thing i find unusual about the growing process is that the soil gets really warm sometimes. Is this good or bad? Please help :smoking:

2. so what's this have to do with germination? aren't you successfully getting sprouts, they just die before growing to big?

What soil are you using? A lot of people also don't recommend using any ferts untll about 3 weeks into growth.

Do you check to make sure your soil is dry before watering again?

3. I just thought this had to do with me doing somthing wrong during the germenation process...the soil is pretty much dry when i water it theres just a few damp spots that arent that big. I have it in a pot hidden by a lil tall grass it gets plenty of sunlight. But when i come out to check on it i feel the soil and its very warm.

4. They could be drying out. In Summer heat it can happen pretty quickly. Unless you're using mild organic fertilizer, hold off until you get to four sets of true leaves. Otherwise, they will burn the little seedlings.

5. yeah, my guess is the fertilizer. Hold off on it until it gets around 4 leaf sets like pinkpipe said. Or at least 3 weeks or so into veg.

6. And also i read that im supposed to use the same type of soil throughout the whole growing process so the plants dont go into some sort of shock. The seeds germ very quickly and as soon as i see the white root pop out of the seed i place the white root down into the soil about a half inch down and cover it with soil. I dont know much about growing but my buddy and i have been researching like crazy trying to get the just of it.

7. I'd recommend sprouting in soil while you're still getting the hang of it. The tap root can easily be damaged, and you can't touch it during transplant. Changing your soil mix could stress the plant. I'd stick with a soil mix you like, and only change the fertilizers. I prefer to use compost, worm poo, perlite, coir, and organic fertilizers. Because organic fertilizers break down over the course of 2-3 months, there is very little risk of burning the plant. (Keep in mind that manures usually need to be composted or 'left to bake' before using.)

8. Thank you both. i'm going to start on some new plants today. With the same soil just not fertilized yet. I know its a little late to be planting them but when the time comes i have a place indoors i can move them for their last few weeks of growing.

9. good luck to ya. I hope all goes well.

10. good luck to ya. I hope all goes well. i look forward to seeing your progress.