germ lighting 18 or 24?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SendThePainBelo, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Hey guys I am starting a new grow very soon and I was just wondering what you thought was the best time to keep your flouro on in the beginning. I hear either 18 or 24 but I wanted what you thought worked best?

2. Flouros , I would do 20/4 or 24/0 the first week or so to help combat stretching. Then either maintain throughout veg or switch to 18/6.

3. Up to you really. You will hear all sorts of varying opinion on this. Ive never done anything but 24/0 in veg. Some do 18/6 20/4. The main side effect is you save some cash on your energy bill.

4. thanks for the reply joker and rhapsody. So how far off are you putting the flouro over the baby plants and we are switching to a hps for the vegetation but is 24 a good time for that or would u rather recommend the 18/6 from your experiences? Oh we are growing white widow if that makes a difference.

5. #5 Doc-J, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    [quote name='"SendThePainBelo"']thanks for the reply joker and rhapsody. So how far off are you putting the flouro over the baby plants and we are switching to a hps for the vegetation but is 24 a good time for that or would u rather recommend the 18/6 from your experiences? Oh we are growing white widow if that makes a difference.[/quote]

Personally, I run 24/0 during veg on photo strains. The 24/0 or 18/6 lighting cycle is a heavily debated subject in cannabis growing. Both work well, but some people swear by one or the other.

I use hid lighting from day 1, but I would try to get the floros within a few inches depending on heat.

6. Agreed, the biggest argument you will hear is they need rest. No studies have really shown that. Most people who say that do not even realize that a mammals body does not even need rest its your brain that requires it. Contrary to popular belief a body recovers at the same rate asleep or awake, the brain requires REM sleep to survive though.

Also if 24/0 was bad well Cannabis is one of the most cultivated crops on Earth and all over the globe people run 24/0 without the plant withering up and dying. To each his own though.

7. and how soon are you putting them under flouros? once they sprout from the seed from the papertowel or whatever you use and you put in soil, so you give it a few days of just regular light or hitting them with the fluouros immediately when they hit soil?

8. You dont have to bother with those lights. Put them straight under you big light.

9. The best plan for you is the one that your comfortable with. Pick one and stick with it until you start another grow then try the other one. Which plan worked best for you? Thats your answer...

Enjoy and post pics as you grow!

10. really? ive read that starting with flouro for the first week is best. Would u disagree? and immediately when they hit soil?

11. LOL yes you can do that. For myself the less steps the better. I never bother with transplanting. I germinate then straight to final resting spot. Never bother with any crazy weak ass lights..straight under my giant LED panel.

In nature plants seem to thrive all over the globe without all of that. Stands to reason to myself they can in my tent.

But do what works for you really.

12. Start with a CFL or two for a few days. Increase the light as the ladies age.

13. lol k, me and my dad are the ones doing the grow so he has grown in the past and has his set ways but I just wanna do research and make sure he is doing the best possible grow strategy.. We have a 1000watt hps and 1000watt hid. he claims hid during veg and hps during flower...

14. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']

You dont have to bother with those lights. Put them straight under you big light.[/quote]

Agreed. My reason is just laziness honestly. I dont want to have to screw with hanging a new light every few weeks.

The only valid arguement I have heard for using floros the first week or so is power cost. Considering with good lighting you should only have to veg three to four weeks, the cost difference is minimal to me. Add to that the fact that decent floros aren't cheap and it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

15. [quote name='"SendThePainBelo"']

lol k, me and my dad are the ones doing the grow so he has grown in the past and has his set ways but I just wanna do research and make sure he is doing the best possible grow strategy.. We have a 1000watt hps and 1000watt hid. he claims hid during veg and hps during flower...[/quote]

I am guessing you meant a 1000w mh? Metal halides are better for veg, hps for flower.

16. Hit the nail on the head there being that its a short period of time. Theres no need to get wrapped around the axle on the beginning part. Its the rest that comes after. Cannabis grows explosively fast and in 3 weeks you wont even reconigize your plant.

17. ok thanks for the help joker and rhap! ill keep you updated on how this thing goes and will prob have a bunch more questions ;)