Genetics getting washed - out? Seems the more I spend, the less I get.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by Phezisica, Jun 23, 2015.

1. I've been growing roughly 18 - 20 years. I believe the absolute BEST seeds I've ever purchased was the first I ever ordered. Since then, I've bought from some of the best regarded seed banks and have not been happy with most of the beans. It seems that the more I pay, the lower the quality. Anyone else share my thoughts? Just wondering.

2. Up until like only 2 years ago I only ever grew bag seeds so I can't really share the same experience.

Unfortunately price doesn't reflect quality in this industry.

May I ask which breeders you have tried and been less than pleased with?

3. I can't really say that anyone has "ripped me off" really. Just that the very first seed I ever bought was, without doubt, much better than anything I've bought since. That was KC Brains (1997?) White Widow and Northern Lights Special. This stuff was ridiculous! I make my own clones and grew the NL Special for 2 years as my main strain, until Thrips (I hate those bastards!) wiped me out. I have ordered from KC twice since and was not satisfied with the potency either time. I've since ordered Serious, Sensi, BC Bud Depot among others plus having numerous clones given to me and still thought most were lacking. I since realize that MANY strains that I "let go" of, probably should have been given a better trial. I am currently growing a freebie called Sonics Kalischnapple x Pure Gooey (long story how I got these) that I am very happy with. It is Sativa dominant and very potent. It has a real fruity taste. I'm also growing BC God Bud which is VERY potent, but severely lacking in yield. Everyone of the banks I've bought from has been great on customer service and delivery and everything. Just seems like genetics were better when there were less "strains" out there. I have to wonder how many of the new strains have the 20 years of proven consistency that is required to be considered an actual strain. Then again maybe it's just me...... I think I'll go roll a Gooey doub now and run my dogs! Keep on Growing!
    Phezisica

• Like Like x 1
  4. 3 of the best plants I have ever grown were cuttings that were gifted to me. A 1977 thai stick, a 2007 sour grapes, and a 1999 space queen.

I have also noticed that the more hype a company puts out in paper media, the more your likely to be displeased with the product.

I have gotten some righteous seeds for fair prices from both american, and European breeders that were quite dank. just gotta barrel through a crap load of grow journals to see who fails and who does not.

5. I was pleasantly surprised with trichome jungle's "Larry smurf".

6. Use clones you know what your gonna get. As long as you have a decent clone vendor.

Happy growing growmies

7. I pay top dollar for seeds so ya get good quality I find if ya buy cheap shit ya will get shit also some seed banks are rip of with seed prices so be careful there to.
    I no longer use regular seed because of crap yields shit plants and half in males if not more I only use feminized seeds now
    I don't use clones either there garbage to me for outdoor use everyone can have the own view on that tho been doing this for a while and that's what I think.
    I tried a lot of different strains trying to get good yields and quality and there not a lot of good seed left out there.

8. That's not true. PeakSeedsBC sells packs of seeds for $30 and he is one of, if not the best breeder in Canada.

9. Yeah some of the best beans I've had have been the cheapest. Price does not reflect quality.

10. Agreed. As I stated earlier, the BEST I've had were from KC Brains back in the 90's. I bought 4 strains and all were great. 2 were the best ever. I've ordered the same strains twice from KC and did not think the quality was there. That was my first time ordering seeds and I had never even heard of a phenotype. Every plant was great and I just chose the best looker as my mother. Cloned off her for about a year and then started a clone as a new mother. After 2.5 to 3 years, I was infested with Thrips, took too long to ID the bastards, used too weak of measures against them (organic solutions) and lost my strain. I've been trying to replace it since. Had lots of good strains since then including Grapefruit Kush, Blue Dream, Aurora Indica, Kali Mist, Mantanuska T.F., etc.. That was my first real grow, and after 20 yrs. of growing great weed I am expecting too much. I know I've let some good strains go for several reasons (flooded 1 year, not enough space, LAZY, etc.).
    I no longer have space problems and am going to try some new things. Don't really care too much about price as long as the GENETICS are top shelf. But I agree, what you spend does seem to mean anything. The strain I'm liking best now was a freebie!
    Phezisica

11. It's hit or miss with seeds. Most breeders will tell you to buy a 5-10 pack of seeds and look for a keeper pheno. I've got 1 reg keeper grand daddy purps. Had some other good regular pheno's but were too finicky or hermed. The feminized seeds are more consistent and don't have to pheno search as much like with reg. seeds. If your just going to grow and not breed some feminized seeds might focus in more on what your expecting. Some quality breeders I would recommend:

1. Sensi seeds ( jack Herer, early girl, northern lights, nl5 x haze, hash plant and more)
    2. Grand daddy purps
    3. Alphakronik
    4. Apothecary (sour grapes, Kaia kush)
    5. Bodhi
    6. TGA
    7. TH seeds ( mk ultra, sage, sage n sour, cold creek kush, bubble gum and more)
    8. Green house seeds (super lemon haze, nevilles haze, and more)
    9. Soma (NYC diesel)
    10. KC brains
    11. Next generation
    12. DNA, Reserva Privada, grow your own by DNA,
    13. Rare dankness
    14. Reeferman ( Willie Nelson, harmony, hash plant, and more)
    15. Serious seeds

These are just a few I can think of. Also bought a pack of bc bud depot animal cookies and all were males and Herms, also recently boughtbthe Cali connection 818 headband and only 3 out 10 popped. I know these breeders have good strains but will stay away from them for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum