genetically modified pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by yurigadaisukida, Mar 15, 2012.

1. What do you blades think out this idea? Im sure people are already working on it and it may not be an origional idea, but to me it sounds like the perfect buisness venture.

Im a huge fan of pets and im working on a biology major. Ive always been into art.

It seems to me that gmo pets and house plants can open a new field combining art and science.
    Can you imagin having a dinosaur? Or a rat with colored fur?

Or even something more amazing like a feathery winged angel monkey.

This is my goal if i ever get outta school provided laws allow for such things.

2. feathery winged angel monkey sounds bad ass as fuck, im sure it'll happen eventually... they'll slowly introduce genetically modified animals into the market until it eventually becomes the norm and people won't even object to it anymore

the futures gonna be FUCKED

3. The prospect is intriguing but I think the implementation would be an issue. I would like to see our focus on longevity (human life span) also shown to animal health (pet health) since you're scrambling genetic code anyway. I have some pets I'd keep around for as long as I could providing their health wasn't an issue. ... I wonder if cats are scared of the FoxO genes.

4. My wife is manager at petsmart. When told her about this idea she told me thay they already have GE fish,, such as glowfish

5. I actually have a picture of those glow fish, I'm just on mobile right now. They have them at the petshop here too.

People already have breeding programs to force animals to mate for certain outcomes, I personally don't see an issue with GMO pets. And I'm a nature/animal lover, just a realist..

6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They've been around awhile though. Time to spruce the pet market up..

7. I want a two headed, 19 limbs, giant dog whale turtle.

But seriously, that is what the future is going to be like. Our grandkids are going to own some strange mutant shit.

8. GFP FTW.

Quite possibly one of nature's most brilliant "inventions". The folks who discovered this protein won the Nobel not too long ago. It's importance in research cannot be understated. It's importance in creating cool glowing pet fish, on the other hand, is debatable. :cool:

9. A half man, half bear, half pig. Manbearpig!

Or a purple and yellow border collie. That'd be badass.

10. February 21, 2012
    Grand Opening Press Release

******** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ********

The Center for PostNatural History announces the Grand Opening of its permanent exhibition facility in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on March 2nd, 2012 at 6PM at 4913 Penn Ave. The Center for PostNatural History (CPNH) is dedicated to the research and exhibition of lifeforms that have been intentionally altered by humans, from the dawn of domestication to contemporary genetic engineering. The CPNH presents the postnatural world through diorama, taxidermy, photography and living exhibits, from engineered corn to Sea Monkeys to modified Chestnut Trees to BioSteelâ„¢ Goats.

According to CPNH Director and Curator, Richard Pell, “The Center for PostNatural History serves as a jumping-off point for thinking about how people shape the living world around them. Humans have been slowly domesticating plants and animals for thousands of years and during the last 35 years we've begun altering the DNA of organisms in very specific ways. A good portion of the living world is in a sense a cultural artifact reflecting the desires, needs and fears of human society. The CPNH is a place to explore that idea.”

Lead Scientific Advisor, Lauren Allen says, “The CPNH is an ideal venue to experience the intersection of humanity and biological sciences.”

The CPNH also hosts postnatural exhibits by guest researchers. “We are currently displaying a poster series produced by the Center for Genomic Gastronomy which catalogues the diversity of genetically modified fruits and vegetables that are available in the US and European Union,” says Pell. “In May we will debut an exhibit about the Svalbard Global Seed Vault produced by a group of American and Norwegian researchers who spent several weeks visiting the worlds largest repository of domesticated food crop seeds.”

The Center for PostNatural History will be open Sundays 12-6 and for select events. Appointments may be made by contacting the CPNH at (412) 223-7698, or by email: rich@postnatural.org

Center for PostNatural History • 4913 Penn Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15224 • rich@postnatural.org • Center for PostNatural History

11. I have a pet turtle that I mutated during it's teenage years.

[​IMG]

I keep him outside.

12. Miniature bear!

13. My friend used to have a green duckling and we saw puppies with glow in the dark paws. They were trying to get the whole puppy to glow.

14. Dogs with thumbs...so they can let themselves out to pee (and get back in)....GAWD am I tired of the middle of the night potty breaks...:D