Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Genetically Modified Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by GreenMagic469, Jul 26, 2014.

1. As someone who tries to adhere to living an organic lifestyle as closely as possible, this has always been a big concern for me: are we smoking genetically modified weed?

Just to be clear, there's a lot of confusion about what composes "GMO". I know there are procedues for feminizing seeds by spraying silver-infused water, and doubling chromosomes with chemicals, but when I say genetically modified, I'm talking about literally adding genes from other creatures into the blessed herb.

This already occurs in upwards of 70% of American food, but I'm wondering if it's happened with weed yet? Of course, weed isn't as big of an industry as food, so it seems logical that for legal/economic reasons that no one would do this yet. But, can we be sure?

Smoking GMO weed could very well un-do all the positive aspects that this plant brings to the table. Since weed is mostly produced in backyards and closets, I find it unlikely that the majority of our weed supply has been tampered with, however, as marijuana becomes a bigger and bigger cash crop, companies like Monsanto will undobutedly set their sights on the plant in hopes of "improving" what is already perfect. Thoughts?

2. I'm already GMO like a MOFO.

3. I don't think anyone who's smart enouigh to do that would want to. I hope to one day make it produce thc and an analouge of Lysergic Acid(It's legal). Best plant ever. But no one else can have it. Why would i do that. They don't deserve it. They can deal with the lame one. Cmon that's so 2 million BC.

That cracks me up. 

5. I've thought about this question as well finally someone brought the topic up.

6. JoJo's got this bomb stuff~ He said the growers a chemist an works on it. It's turned some people into lizards though.

7. If they do it with food, why wouldn't they do it with other products

Thanks for the contribution.

9. I personally enjoy GMO cannabis. 

A few GMO strains I've had recently include

Northernberry
    Blackjack

No thank you for the laugh. You say you live organic but inhale smoke from a plant. It makes me think of the of the athlete that drinks and binges in the off season. " I run marathons but only smoke a little crack" To each there own, thanks for the chuckle.

11. Yeah your right. You can't see my perspective. Have a good one. Sorry If I hurt your feeling.

12. No one adhere's to an organic life(Fully). I try but industry can't have that can it, cause if they don't use byproducts where's their money going to come from?. If you grow your own food, which i have begun to do have 4 black berry bushes and 3 raspberry behind my back patio. I don't think my landlord would let me get a tree. :(

13. A GMO product can potentially either enhance the very qualities individuals enjoy of a particular strain or just fuck it up. It depends on how well the tweaked the genes. maybe in the future when technology improves we'd be able to modify our own based on our preference.

14. GMO cannabis doesn't turn me on. But if it could grow a more powerful substance, that would be heavenly.
    From my knowledge GMO cannabis only really increases yield, growth, and stage time. Not really the effects.
    That would require modifying the production of the active, which is extremely difficult from the seed.

15. [​IMG]

Yes, you "hurt my feeling".