Genetic Hermie vs. Stressed Hermie

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by nerostar24, Jun 8, 2011.

1. My understanding from reading the stickies is FEM'D seeds only come from a stressed hermie pollenating a female? Thus female + female stressed into hermie = FEM'D seeds :confused_2: :confused:
    Genitic hermies pollenating a female you get mostly hermie seeds, some male and some female? Is there any way to tell if a hermie is a stressed hermie or a genetic hermie?

I have a plant I am concerned is hermie, the other two planted at the same time showed pre-flowers almost two weeks before this one. The pre-flowers on this one just look different than ones on this one. I havent really been able to get a good pic but this is what I got.....

Attached Files:

2. i dont see anything on there that looks like a male part

3. I don't see any balls , looks fIne to me

4. I'm really looking for the confirmation of my question, time will tell if it is hermie.
    Love that pic MasterOG

5. it should be fine, and thanks lol

6. First it doesn't look like a hermie.

Second good commercial feminized seeds are done chemically. You can stress your girls to produce "backup" self pollinated feminized seeds, but most people tend to report a greater chance of a hermie in the future using said method of seed production.

7. Get into cloning and you will love life that much more!

8. can you clone from flowering plants?

9. Typically if the plant is already showing flowers, it is too late to take a clone. If the plant is only just showing sex at the top parts, and the lower branches are still pistil free (or within the first 2 weeks of 12/12 switch) you can use those as cuttings.

Though you can clone a branch that has some flowers, but it will take a long time.

If you do not have a mother plant that is in veg for the sole purpose to produce clones, your best bet is to take cuttings from a plant that is a few days away from being put into flowering.

Let me know if you want some more info i can help you out.

10. If thats a hermie I need to cut one down first thing in the morning. Bummer!

11. #11 nerostar24, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
    No it is female - just had to wait a week

Attached Files:

12. Incorrect! you CAN take cuts from a plant at literally ANY time in its life, albiet its beter to take it around the veg state (for consistency reasons)

INFACT, it is well known for people who emply the 21days flower cutting routine to get absolutley HUGE HUGE HUGE BUSHY plants, which dont really even need topping or fimming as such. just a few slight bends and youll get a monster plant/

the absolute BEST time to take cuts for THIS type of system is approx 21-50days off flower. use bottom ones as opposed to the top section.

clones will take upto 14 days (differnt strains diffo times) butonce done. YOU WILL GET FATTER AND FASTER GROWTH

conclusions - please do your full research before you can hand on heart say THEY DONT WORK WHEN TAKEN IN FLOWERIN. i been dooin it this way for around yrs now, and will absolulet UNEQUIVCALLY NEVER take cuts from a veggin plant! but hey.. thats me,.

try it and see if it works for you. i cant see how gettin BIG ASS PLANTS n BUDS will not sound right though?? flowering cuts work a TREAT!!

SWC

• Like Like x 1
  13. I stress induced hermie and a genetic hermie are the same. A plant has to have hermie generics for it to be hermied. The stress is just a way of bringing out the hermie genetics.

14. #14 triplebc666, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    how can a stressed hermie and born hermie be the same homie??
    EVERY PLANT HAS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE composites, which can show through from a variety of stresses!

so, a plant does NOT need hermie genetics to go tranny on you!, as IT ALREADY HAS IT ANYWAY..
    the idea is that YOU WILL ULTIMTLEY BE THE CAUSE OF GETTING IT testicles floating about the ocean! lol.

genetics play but a small part. albiet some strains are more inclined than others
    just thought id correct you...
    bless, one love

15. #15 triplebc666, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    OH YEH SOME FACTS ON THE HERMINATORS

if POLLEN FROM A HERMIE PLANT had somehow pollenated its own buds then you would get 95 % FEMALE SEEDS.. another way of making your own femz.

Hermies DONT NEED TO BE BANANA SHAPED or have yellow dicks sticking out the bud. there are other more ilusive traits. like loveley Swelled Calyxses which youd think were the usual female sort, but upon opening these contain TINY GRAIN SIZED white or brown color underdeveloped seed lookin stuff. which is a prelude to the problem you have, its crazy on the different ways these bitches get inside the nodes where you cant see

REMOVING NANNAZ DOES NOT HELP THE PROBLEM! by the time youve spotted it, more than likely its already too late. ISOLATE IT from the others or you will pay the price

You can make KICK ASS HASH from a hermie.. but not a MALE!

by 'Rippin or tearin' of pods, your increasing the chance of getting more random pollination and you will most likely get some pollen hidden in some crack or seem, and it WILL fuckk your next crop up too!

BEWARE OF THE HERMINATOR!

SWC (triplebc666) Youtube me!

16. I'm just saying that a plant can't go hermie unless it has the genetics. Some plants with hermie genetics will go hermie without stress, and some don't hermie until they are stressed, but any plant that hermies had to have the genetics to hermie. You can't make any plant hermie. Some just won't, no matte how stressed because they don't have the genetic capability.

17. #17 AgMan, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
    It's all about the hormones. If you spray gibberellic acid on a female plant you'll get male flowers, but those flowers will produce pollen that is only female. This is how feminized seed are produced, well, at least good feminized seed.

It comes down to a balance between female and male hormones. I do believe that if it's a stress issue causing some pollination (where unstressed it never produces pollen) then the plant is probably xxxy. This then gives you xx and xy pollen to an xx and xy ovum. The result should be 1/4xxxx, 1/4xxyy, and 1/2xxxy. 25% no herm, 25% strong herm, and 50% weak herm, technically all female but 75 of them are herms.

With a pure female, stress should not induce seed however, a genetic mishap (possibly stress) could produce a diploid egg and it would grow a seed that is a clone of the mother (you're likely only to find 1 of these seeds in several pounds of herb). Likewise, gibberellic acid on a pure female is virtually a clone although, there is likely to be recombination of genes, which won't do much visibly.

18. From The Cannabis Breeder's Bible

Attached Files:

19. #19 AgMan, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
    Missed a relevant page...

This is a bit simplistic of a book, but relevant. I still can't find my Marijuana Botany book, it has more complete details...

Attached Files:

20. Excellent book I'm told and regretably I am yet to read it,the question of the xxxy cromo is exactly what I found in the caramello as having non-viable pollen.In my opinion stress and the genetic disposition to herm are one and the same its just to what degree the hermoprodism expresses itself