Genesis 1:31 "and God saw that it was Good"

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Insurgency, Apr 26, 2011.

1. is it not natural for us to explain that which is good? (including personal) Is it not natural for us to be satisfied?

Perhaps this God may have taken the same gamble we all are presented in this life. We either put faith into the Good, or no faith at all. Because of scientific discoveries, we know the Earth wasn't created in 7 days. Maybe this God took a gamble, created a certain amount of matter, and let them naturally by the laws of nature form a creation in His image?

Gambles feel so Good when they pay off.

2. God is such a legend.

3. lol God always cleans house

4. If a god can gamble, then I take it we are not assigning this god the property of omniscience.

As for Good or Virtuous, that is often an artificial extension (and occasionally invention) of what is Right. Rightness comes from within, from our conscience, and my searching has led me to the social impulse as the cause. Without the social environment, an identity isn't needed, and when a self arises it is a matter of time before one uses their imagination to experience the plight of others vicariously.

5. Is he not allowed to blindly reach into a sack and pull out marbles, already knowing which ones he will grab?

Without the social environment, we would still come together as a community of some kind. The very recognition that humanity is where it is at now shows how social our race is. We are beyond animals, we are not satisfied with being a hunter, gatherer, or nurturer. We are Masters of our individualism.

6. #6 Postal Blowfish, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    There is nothing blind about it if he knows what will emerge. He can create a service in the universe to produce "random" results but he will always know what is coming so they will never really be random.

That first comment is puzzling. The social environment begins when we come together as a community, and we do that because we have an instinctual social impulse. Animals are social, too, and they have communities (packs) and I look at their behavior and think ours must have been similar when we were tribes and didn't have a ritual for lingual communication. Pack members have concern for one-another, instinctively recognizing the value of a strong pack for survival. I might call that proto-conscience, instinctual regard for others prior to strong individual identity.

So far as we know, pack animals do not communicate with language. I would expect someone, somewhere to argue against that statement though as some animals are incredibly clever in a group. I think as our language began to develop, so did our identities and our concerns complicated beyond mere survival. For what it's worth, I believe the conscience to be the seat of ethics and our true instructor about right and wrong. Morality further complicates these ideas for the macro-scale of a larger group, a society or civilization. Marriage, homosexuality, and property mores as examples... most likely designed to keep peace in a larger group and keep growth sustainable.

7. I thought of that scene from Spinal Tap when I saw the thread title.....lol

Also, it is natural (in a human sense) for us only to be satsified for a little while, which is both humanity's curse and 'blessing'.

8. The entirety of Life and existence is the Singularity experiencing its own self-discovery through itself manifested as we/us/life, through itself as the Cosmos and the Cosmic Memory.. the whole of this cycle of endless cycles of Cosmoses culminates at the intersection of Consciousness, awareness, intelligence, energy, and potential, or.. as we more fondly like to label it, the continuous moment of ‘Now', Creation.. the ripple of Consciousness expanding into the Void, leaving reality in its wake as it ‘feels' its way into its next grandest version of itself.. we/us/Life are the answer to THE question, “WHAT AM I”?

9. If you are always looking for what is good, if you are always looking for satisfaction, there will never be any satisfaction, it will always elude you.

If you are not looking for anything, if you are only seeing, accepting, and being aware of what is, there is nothing outside of satisfaction, there is nothing outside of contentment and fulfillment.

When this happens you no longer need to know what good or bad are.