generators

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by fuxstar, Oct 4, 2011.

1. so im currently setting up a new room and i was wondering if any of you had used generators to power your lights, im looking to hide some of my electricity consumption from the nosey fuckers at edf energy here in the uk.

what im curious about firstly is how long an average sized generator could run 2000 watts

also if anyone has any experience with soundproofing a generator i would love to hear about it so long as your generator didnt catch fire.

2. Super duper expensive, don't do it

3. in this particular case it probably isnt because i can get cheap diesel from this doddgy fisherman i know and i work in a kitchen and can get all the waste oil and filter it.

4. Then start a journal....keep track of costs....this will prove to others how to use generators for growing

5. Fuel source is key. If you have a free fuel source you can do some shit.. If not do not bother..

6. hey, if it is even on par to the cost/efficiency output, you have elliminated the worry of a power outage i guess. just keep you gen in condition :D

7. There's other ways to get around the electric company. For one, don't plan on such a huge grow. You can get massive yield out of a 600 watt light.

Also, if you're worried about them catching on to the light cycle, 12/12, keep the power level all 12 hours. You could either always leave the light on and move the plants, or get something a similar wattage and go with that.

A generator is still a terrible idea. Regardless of if you get free fuel, that's a ton of extra time and work.

8. The extremely loud rattle of an engine running hours on end every day will draw a lot more attention than a few extra pounds on your light bill.

No one will notice a small increase in your electrical usage, and even if they do there are many legitimate explanations -- new roommate leaves all the lights on, you started a catering business out of your kitchen, you are into ceramics and got your own kiln, etc.