General Hydroponics Waterfarm Collective

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LucidMobbins, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Who's got one? I use the 8 pack with controller and reservoir myself. I have been thinking about this for a while now and have decided its time to take a stab at getting a solid Waterfarm thread going. I joined Grasscity because I noticed a number of great people using this system. It may not be the newest thing out there, but it sure has a proven track record which is more than you can say about a lot that is out right now. I would like this to become a place where users of this system get together and share their thoughts and ideas (pics too :D) so that we can all learn from the experiences of others. Anyone is welcome to post here including people that don't currently own this system and have questions about its use and maintenance. I would also like this to be all inclusive and include the individual Waterfarm's as well. I will be starting us off with a write up of my system when I get some more time later today, but if someone would like to take the lead before I get a chance feel free. So please no one be shy! I don't want to see this get washed away into the great threads that could have been. I feel this could become a valuable resource to people who are new to, or looking for ways to improve upon their Waterfarm's.

:gc_rocks:

2. Subscribed. I been wondering bout systems like this myself...

3. Subscribed. I've got six of them spread across two tents. My first grow attempt is currently in early bloom and not doing so hot (my newb mistakes and some bad luck are the main causes), but my second batch is thriving in early veg.

My one complaint is I keep getting algae growth in the sight tube. I think I need to find something to cap the top. Any tips?

4. #4 LucidMobbins, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
    Black White Poly is what many recommend. Cut a slit in a piece that fits over the top to cover the bucket above the drip ring and slip it around the top. Keep the black side down! This will help both reflect light up to plants and keep the temps down for your nutrient solution. Do you have air stones going under each plant? Another thing that would help is to know the temp of your nutes. Are each of your units separate or connected to form one system?

5. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you had about the system. Shout them out and I (or others I hope) will answer your questions as best as we can. Really is a great system and if you are looking for something to buy rather than to go the DIY route than I feel its the best bang for your buck. I must however say that this system is a great START. It only takes a few quick mods to make this system rival the big dog systems that cost many times more than it.

6. Subbing

7. [quote name='"LucidMobbins"']Black White Poly is what many recommend. Cut a slit in a piece that fits over the top to cover the bucket above the drip ring and slip it around the top. Keep the black side down! This will help both reflect light up to plants and keep the temps down for your nutrient solution. Do you have air stones going under each plant? Another thing that would help is to know the temp of your nutes. Are each of your units separate or connected to form one system?[/quote]

My solution temps are a bit high at 70-72, but as the cooler weather takes hold they've been a lot easier to control. The panda film is a good idea. Might be just what i need to drop the solution the extra degree or two to get it below 70. I also cut the support tube on all of mine so the drip ring actually sits underneath a layer of hydroton. With the ring on top I was seeing algae form underneath the drip spots, but now I have no issues on the surface. I'm thinking a simple 3/4 inch PVC Cap on the drain tube should clear up the problem I have there.

8. By 3/4 inch PVC Cap on drain tube are you talking about using the PVC to form a sleeve over the tubing? I have given this some thought myself as I am running a very unique configuration and have one long tube I feel exposes everything more than I would like. Please let me know if you do this how it turns out. I will have to wait till after this cycle to give this a try myself. Another material I have been thinking of using is the foam used to cover roll bars in race cars covered in white poly so that it reflects heat a bit better. I like your idea of dropping the drip rings below the hydroton. May have to give that one a try myself.

9. [quote name='"McRotch"']

My solution temps are a bit high at 70-72, but as the cooler weather takes hold they've been a lot easier to control. The panda film is a good idea. Might be just what i need to drop the solution the extra degree or two to get it below 70. I also cut the support tube on all of mine so the drip ring actually sits underneath a layer of hydroton. With the ring on top I was seeing algae form underneath the drip spots, but now I have no issues on the surface. I'm thinking a simple 3/4 inch PVC Cap on the drain tube should clear up the problem I have there.[/quote]

Sub'd. About to chop my first waterfarm run tonight. Been a soil guy, but had one of these thrown at me, so I finished it.

As for res temps, I toss a frozen bottle of water in the bucket everyday. My sisters Ed boyfriend (the person who's bucket I'm using) never did. He had algae, brown unhealthy roots, etc. I started putting a frozen water bottle in and the roots were whiter, grew about 10x (no joke) as much, and the plant started kicking major ass!

10. [quote name='"LucidMobbins"']

By 3/4 inch PVC Cap on drain tube are you talking about using the PVC to form a sleeve over the tubing? I have given this some thought myself as I am running a very unique configuration and have one long tube I feel exposes everything more than I would like. Please let me know if you do this how it turns out. I will have to wait till after this cycle to give this a try myself. Another material I have been thinking of using is the foam used to cover roll bars in race cars covered in white poly so that it reflects heat a bit better. I like your idea of dropping the drip rings below the hydroton. May have to give that one a try myself.[/quote]

I was under the impression that the blue tubing was light-blocking, or at least algae resistant. I have no real evidence of this, it's just something I recall reading. With that said, I assume that the light coming through the opening at the top of the tube is causing my growth (along with warmer than optimal res temps). So I thought a simple cap for the top would solve it. I like your idea of creating a sleeve even more. It'll block the light at the opening and if I'm wrong about the blue tubing, it'll take care of that too.

11. I like both ideas. I now understand that you are talking about the gap in the tube where the drip ring comes out and to tell you the truth I have not given this area much thought. My main defense against algae is airstones under each plant site, and keeping my nutrient solution 66F at all times. I actually use two of the dual diaphragm air pumps. One pump for every 4 plants. Two of the out puts split out to the drip rings, and the last two out puts get split to the airstones. I have my controller in the middle with 4 plant sites on each side. The area is a 4x8 tent. There is a 600W light over each side of 4 plant sites. The average temp with lights on is 76F and with lights off 67F. I do not have a reservoir cooler, but temps of the solution always are 66F. I keep the whole room the tent is in 68F. I know that the blue tubing is supposed to stop growth, but for one I don't know how much I trust this and for two I thought covering them may help out a bit more (and give me more peace of mind). I think part of the problem is I am never quite satisfied with something and am always looking for ways to improve things.

12. Now I would like to start a discussion on a area of the Waterfarm that has little info in one place regarding it. That is in regards to the timing of the water pumping from the drip rings. Now I know that there will be a lot of people that hop right on and say 24/7 like the manufacture states. I am totally fine with a answer of 24/7, but would prefer those that answer that also state if they have tried other timings and they have gone back to 24/7 because they believe it to offer better results.

I will start us off. I am a believer that a little bit of dry time is good for everything. I run the pumps 24/7 when everything first goes into the system. once I feel the roots have taken hold I change the pump timing to 45min on 15min off. I feel this gives everything a little bit of time to air out a bit in between feedings. So lets here it people. Whats your timing like?

13. Guess no one has comments on timing... O well. I get the feeling this will end up a thread where I am more just taking notes of ideas I read if no one responds :-( Next thing I was thinking about was the last time I was at the pet store I noticed that they have black tubing for running air lines in fish tanks. I run a air stone under each plant in my Waterfarm. The airline the feeds the air stone runs down through the hyrdocorn and into the res below. The airline I use is clear and I feel that this lets in more light than anything else in my system. I am considering getting some black tubing for next time, but wanted to see if anyone has given this a try already?