General foreign language talk

Discussion in 'General' started by Makavrios, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Hey, guys. I like to learn bits and pieces of foreign languages for fun, kinda slowly building my understanding of each language over time. I've done it with Latin, Spanish, Swedish, and kinda did it with Welsh, Ukrainian, and German. I want to start on Akkadian but the only thing available is A Grammar of Akkadian, which is kinda advanced. Does anyone have any free materials they could provide here for any of those languages? Many thanks in advance. :D

2. Do you have duolingo? It's awesome!

3. That's an app, right? I've heard people recommend it, but discounted language apps after my Chinese app moved at a snail's pace. After hearing a positive reaction on GC, I'm off to check it out!

4. #4 Twee, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
    I teach people to speak Gaelic, apps are great but for anyone learning a new language, I find apps like duo lingo were great for learning Vocabulary but not great for speaking naturally. Anyone learning a new language should try follow these tips..

1. Find a native speaker to speak with so your pronouncation won't be all over the palace. You can learn subtleties of the language too by speaking to a native. Sound like a local? Find a local.
    2. Speak the language to yourself and incorporate it into your daily life. One of my past students would write her grocery lists in Irish. She'd start by only putting the simple things in Irish, (ie. Bainne = milk, arán = bread) and then she would progress to more complicated items the next week. Eventually, she could tell me what dishwashing detergent is in Irish!
    3. Listen to the language being spoken naturally. I get some students to watch the nuacht (news in Irish) without the subtitles. It may sounds odd but again, make a note of how they are speaking, how their mouths move and so on.
    4. Have fun, put your heart into it and little by little the language will come.

Go neirí libh (Good luck all [​IMG] )