Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IGOTJOINTS4YA, Dec 10, 2008.

1. I voted agianst the proposition in my state to ban gay marriage but I must say I am tired of hearing plugs constantly by the media saying how they find it terriable that gay men and women have to convince the rest of us that they should be married.

Marriage was a religious institution until rescently, and even though it has swayed away from being one, you still see a majority of weddings done by a preacher/rabbi/etc in a church even if the couple does not practice religious faith very often.

This fact that now it is a travesty that homosexuals cannot marry, even though until rescently this was not even a subject to talk, I find it just one agenda that people find a gripe with and nail it in your head tell you agree that this needs to be changed.

The only reason why this is a subject is not the fact that gay people want to be married, but that gay couples want equel rights when it comes to benifits.

How about this? How about we make both parties happy, the people that approve gay marriage and ones that disapprove happy by making a civil union between a gay couple a legal union. Giving the same benifits that a married couple has to a gay couple all the while not having them married.

I see this as a simple way to make both parties happy, while ending this stupid debate, all marriage is is a formal civil union, if we were to make a gay couples civil union formal while not "marrying" them, this arguement could be solved while making both parties happy.

Although I voted agianst ban of gay marriage, I see the people who apposed it's meriat to this issue so but that does not mean we could work around all this.

2. It's one of the issues politicians cling to in order disguise the false dichotomy of the two party system, and you can thank Bob Barr for starting the debate in Federal politics with DOMA in 1996.

Clinton probably planted it as a device for later Democrats to campaign for repeal. [​IMG]

3. that's the problem, instead of pushing for a middle groud both sides push farther in disagreement which if insulting if you ask me.

4. #4 wackdeafboy, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    Yes, I agree. It is getting annoying now.
    gay marriage should be legal, that simple!

5. did you read what I said?

6. I say ban marriage altogether.

7. but then insurance companies could not segregate to make profits.

8. yes, I did
    I was just agreeing with you.
    if I said the same thing as you did then opps, sorry

9. Anyone opposed to gay marraiges should take their finger out of their ass and mind their own business, homophobic people are infact probably homosexual anyway its just their way of dealing with their severe insecurities,or their just fascists, this is fact.

Infact all marraige should be illegal,theres too much compromise:D

10. I myself oppose gay marriage. This is not about homophobia but rather my opinion on the underlying implications of being gay. The most basic human action is having sex with the opposite sex, its what keeps society and the human race going. In being gay, regardless of the factors causing the condition, you deny the most basic human urges and instincts. To me there is something incredibly wrong with this, and from this vewipoint it is almost clear that being gay is an impairment. It is unfortunate the some people turn out gay, but thats the way life is, not everyone can have everything. People make such an effort to be sensitive to others that they forget the harsh relalities of life, gay marriage should remain illegal.

11. Homosexuals are allowed to marry where I live.
    Nobody cares, it doesn't change anything at all.
    I don't get why USA is so slow on allowing homosexuals to marry, it's causing unnecessary conflict.
    It may conflict with certain elements of the Bible..
    But it doesn't matter because the Bible is the most re-written story in the history of the world.

12. I understand what you are saying and why you would think that. I thought that too for a while.

I still don't understand why you don't think they should be able to be married though. I mean, most gay people would probably rather not be gay, especially with all the shit they have to go through being ostracized and whatnot, not to mention trying to find other gay people and stuff.

Plus if they get married I don't really see the negatives that could come from it at all. As far as keeping the human race going..there's over 6.5 billion people on this planet I don't really think we have to worry about procreation really.

13. People should be able to do what they feel is best for them.

14. Homosexuality is observed in nature in all higher mammals. Gay dolphins fuck each other in the blow hole. Just cos a baby doesn't pop out doesn't mean its not fulfilling the basic instinct of pleasure. Or are you suggesting when a man and woman have sex, the only reason is to have kids?

It's not unfortunate that people have gay sex, we have a real population problem; if 10% of the population are gay, that can only be a good thing.

Also wtf has marriage got to do with sex? (unless you are religious) Why can't gays have a bit of paper and a ring on their finger? Do all married people have to have kids?

15. Sorry, but this IS homophobic. You have the right to your opinions, but call them what they are.

Sex isn't just for procreation. If you've ever had sex with birth control, then by your own very definition you are just as "impaired" as someone who is gay.

16. #17 Deleted member 133001, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    Both parties won't be happy, while the majority of gay people would probably be content, the hard edge assmunchers 'd just bitch about that, they want equality, not loopholing around the issue so they're not "exactly married". They want to be married like straight people are married.

Anyway, marriage is a travesty these days. People marrying inanimate objects (politicians, heyoo!) on tv is allowed, why some people want to make an issue about a ritual is beyond me. Just let people be happy.

EDIT: I know I typed "assmunchers", please have a sense of humor before ye olde flame war commence

17. It's not a loophole, marriage is a legal civil union, by making gay civil unions a legal civil union you give them rights to insurance purchases while "keeping the sanctity of marriage alive".

18. Separate but equal, right?

As long as the government recognizes marriage as a legal union, then all consensual adult citizens should have the right to enter into that union.

If the government wants to start recognizing ALL unions as civil unions, while leaving marriages to churches, then I'm fine with this. But otherwise, all adult citizens of this country should be allowed the same rights.

19. Well then this would be open to corruption, two roomates would get together and say they were a union to save on renters insurance or even car insurance.

There would have to be a clause in the law that makes it so these companies could determine whether you were truely a couple inorder to do this.

I think also this could ease the crowd agianst gay marriage over if you ask me, this could be a step in the right direction, I mean Rome wasn't built in a day.