Gay Marriage will lead to the downfall of society...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BackwoodsGirl, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Yep, out of all the problems with this country, all of the economic problems and racial divide, it is the gays who will ruin the country... :rolleyes:

Gay Marriage Will Lead to the Downfall of Society

While the points concerning the moral issues do have some substance, I jsut think theres bigger problems out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't fully support gay marriage (well I havent made my mind up--of course, that might be part of my Christian upbringing, i was always taught it was wrong), but I just dont like hearing that it will be the "End All" of society...

What are you guys thoughts on this?

2. #2 Arteezy, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
    Isn't marriage a religious ceremony between a man and a woman? So, why does the power fall to the government to marry people?

Marriage should not have any meaning under the law. Everyone should have to get a civil union in order to be "married" in the eyes of the state and any two adults should be able to get a civil union.

3. The only real problems I could see it causing would be roommates getting married for the tax/insurance benefits. I don't think many people would actually do that though. You could get your ass kicked for somethin' like that....

4. Gay marriage should be legal, i.e. the 14 Amendment.

5. My thoughts are that most of the people who are against gay marriage would also like for it to be illegal for blacks to marry whites.

6. I believe anyone should be able to be married regardless of sexual preference. However i wouldn't want to see church's forced to preform or sanction marriages against their beliefs.

7. Homosexuality isn't may be choice sometimes, but it's genetic. It is proven in nature.

8. Fo sho. It's too often that people don't make the distinction between federally sanctioned and religiously sanctioned marriage. The gays don't really give a fuck if Christian ministers approve of their union; they just want to have the same federally granted rights that heterosexual couples have.

9. #9 edward, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
    The people who are against gay marriage typically also believe in God. Christians believe God gave humans free will in order that we can choose good by our own volition rather than as automatons acting by default. My question then is what are they doing putting limits on the free will given to others by God? Regulation of morality in anyway but the most libertarian sense seems like altering a mandate of God. Now you don't even need to believe in God to use this argument against most of those who are against gay marriage...

10. No one has ever written that in any bill for gay rights.

11. Simple fact is, the overwhelming majority is not, will not be and have never been attracted to the same sex. There is a a very simple Darwinian explanation to this, same sex attraction do not produce offspring without cheating, and as such, is not that common.

The marriage issue is entirely a moralistic one. If gays and lesbians are allowed to marry, it will not mean we will have more gays or lesbians. It just means they will have the same rights as straights when entering a legalistic recognition of their love for eachother.

As tokers and presumably knowing a bit about drug culture, we should know better than to fall for the moralistic arguments.

Being allowed or forbidden, you will have about the same percentage of same sex attraction in any society. Just as being allowed or forbidden, you will have about the same percentage of people getting hooked on bad drugs rather than keeping cool with the beer and weed.

A certain percentage want to self destruct. And with no comparison as such, a certain percentage seek love in the same sex.

I don't see why we should make it difficult for them. For good and bad.

Besides, I find gays to be rather entertaining. I don't see anything entertaining in drug or alcohol abuse however. So why people on this forum find that we should supress gays and their rights, whilst still championing the case for drug liberalisation, is beyond me.

But then again, I am rather liberalist with very little morals but a whole lot of ethics and empathy. :D

12. I never said they did

13. Actually, I think they should take marriage out of the governments hands. There really shouldn't be any government granted benefits to marriage. I personally don't even like the idea of marriage, and don't support a government that rewards it. People should get tax cuts for things that make sense, like having kids and looking after them, whether or not the parents are married, live together, live separately, are gay, are straight, enjoy group orgies, etc. :p

I don't think people consider artificial insemination, surrogate mothers, test tube babies, or any other of the modern ways of reproducing to be 'cheating'.

14. Nope, I just wanted to make that clear because of lot people lie and say that gays want to force churches to marry them by citing one incident in which a church rented its land out to the city and there was a gay wedding.

15. I just meant i would be against any legislation "if" it was proposed.

16. That may be so, but since you once again try for your little "argument by nitpicking" silliness, how about this: How can same sex couples get offspring without actually "cheating". That is using any other method than boy meets girl and doing the odd bit of in-out until friction gives a release of, well, pleasure and a healthy amount of sperm meeting an egg if in a favourable part of the female cycle?

17. MAn , who cares if gays are marrying how at all would it be the downfall of society if anything it would help society . Look at all the little orphan children who will never experience having a family or gifts on christmas , since obviosly gays can't have children the traditional way they would have to look at adoption at some point if they want children . Them abdopting little orphan children will give this kids a better chance of experiencing true love within a family , gifts on christmas and all good stuff . Beside it's a Free country no matter your beliefs or values .

18. if that was the case why do they insist on calling it a marriage? polls show 70% or better of the public are for gay civil unions but only around 50% favor gay marriages? the gay activist community is all for the in your face BS and seem to like starting shit. my best friend is bi & I have 2 "aunts that have lived together for 20+yrs,all agree that a civil union wound be better because the idea of a gay marriage is offensive to many.they (and most gays I bet) are not interested in controversey.
    my friend once dated an in your face bulldyke who seemed to thrive on starting shit. we had been friends for about 15 yrs,dated for 3 & remained friends w/ benifits for several yrs, yet her girlfriend kept trying to get me riled w/ her BS to the point I would no longer talk to my friend when the bitch was around.
    I have NO PROBLEM w/ a gay civil union but since many are offended by a gay marriage, I would never agree w/ a gay mariage. if that makes me a homophobe,(as the bulldyke sugested) so be it.

19. Marriage should not be defined by law. Civil unions should take the place of "state marriages." Then everyone would be happy. :D:smoking:

20. how do you figure? after 14 yrs,my wife & I haven't gotten married because of the tax penalties.every yr we do our taxes both ways and it is still better to be single w/ child altho the gap has narrowed & now that her oldest 2 will soon not be taxible deductions, we might marry. we jumped though all the legal hurdles yrs ago.(matching wills,living wills,health insurance,medical proxies) the only thing we couldn't get was her to be able to collect off of my social security after I die.a life insurance policy will help her if I go first or pay for a russian bride if she goes 1st.