Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gauging the quality of weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sheep herder, Oct 21, 2011.

1. is the only thing that matters in determining quality weed the number of trichomes? (how visible, how much the buds covered) i know that smell can make a difference, obviously, but not in all cases. i have seen people mention in numerous forums that the number of hairs matters too, but i dont quite understand how that would matter. i know what quality weed looks like, but are the trichome numbers the only difference between some low grade dank and some high grade dank ?

2. with most low-grade bud, you won't even see crystals. dank weed is just dank. it has crystals, it smells potent (unique depending on the strain), and it usually looks like something you'd enjoy swimming in with large amounts

3. It should be Dense, Sticky, Crystaly, Hairy, and Smelly

4. After smoking marijuana for years you get to sample different types of crop and quality.. Just keep smoking and teach yourself. Its the best way to do it. If its smelling skunky then its usually some bomb lol..

5. but would bud with tons of hairs be better than bud with a little less? don't the hairs contain very little thc, making it irrelevant? i guess what im asking is if how frosty the bud looks is all that matters in determining which bud is better? this is assuming that buds are smelly, sticky etc. im askin cause i know what quality weed is, i just wanna learn the difference between dank and DANK

6. ive been smoking for a good while, just wanted clarification. tried a few different kinds, im not new in the smoking department, so i know good bud when i see it

7. [​IMG]

The trichomes should be like the ones w/ the green arrow.

You shouldn't need fingers made of steel to break the bud up. If you do then it wasn't dried and cured properly.

The better cured a bud is, the better it will smell. This is why people commonly associated a strong smell with good pot. I'd rather smoke perfectly cured mids than dank that hasn't been cured at all, any day of the week.

If it hits harshly, then it wasn't flushed properly. Bud that hasn't been flushed will taste terrible, won't burn well, and will burn way hotter than flushed bud.

8. The hairs don't really show anything about how potent it is

Ive had some really hairy buds and it wasnt that dank (it looked danker than it actually was)

I think the smell is one of the best indicators too determine what DANK is

9. alrite thanks, i was wondering about the hairs cause i always see people mention it, and i never really understood why it would matter. and that pic you posted shpongle was real helpful, along with the info. like i said, i can tell if weed is quality, just dont quite know the finer details lol

10. How high of thc and cbd percentage is what determines the buzz

11. You'll get it with time.

I've seen "dank" before that I've picked apart (figuratively) in front of a dealer and then he proceeded to tell me how "I paid $300+ for this ounce and it's dank, trust me." I haven't seen nor heard from him since :cool:.

As far as hair go, the brighter they are the better. During the flowering cycle, the hairs begin to grow larger and take on a lighter color. Towards the end of the cycle, though, they begin to recede back towards the plant. So if you've got bud with bright hairs that are clinging to the bud then you've got yourself some properly grown dank.

There's easily 100+ variables when it comes to determining the quality of weed. For me it really comes down to the trichome coverage, the smell (how well cured it was), and how well flushed it was. I've got a fairly generous margin for error but if one of those is just a little too "off" then it just ruins the bud for me.

12. yeah im trying to really get more into understanding the plant, and ive been reading up on the growing process to get a better picture

13. You can only infer so much from appereance and smell alone. You can have crystally nugs that just aren't as potent as well-grown crystally nugs.. Idk if this makes sense

14. ive read the sticky and it doesnt provide the detailed information i was asking. already knew everything in it anyways, my questions were more about the specifics. and yes dankmasta i got what you mean.

15. This is usually caused by the trichomes not being fully matured. I've smoked nugs with limited trichome coverage but they were fully matured and I've smoked buds with insane coverage but were still in the first stage. The buds with first stage trichomes hardly got me stoned while the buds with third stage trichomes got me ripped. Definitely wasn't about tolerance either since I smoked the same amount each day.

There are 3 stages to trichome development:

Stage 1: Causes the plant to look "frosted" Looks like tiny little bumps of trichomes rather than stalks. These contain very little THC.

Stage 2: The bumps have grown in to stalks but lack the definitive gland on the top. This allows more THC to reside in the trichome, but it could be better...

Stage 3: The stalks have now formed a globule (love that word) of resin at the top.
    [​IMG]

^ That's what all trichomes should look like...unfortunately they rarely do (unless you're buying straight from the grower)

16. This=shwaftaz ya knoe mahn

Attached Files: