Garage Grow

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Starvethewolf, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I am completely new to this, but have been doing my research. Unfortunately, research only goes so far, and I would love to hear some wisdom from someone more experienced.

I was thinking about putting an 8x8x7 tent (flowering) and a 4x8x7 tent (Veg/Clones) in my garage. The grow tent sounded like a great idea, put the 8x8 is $600 alone, and that's more of a hit than I'd like to take. As it is, I worry my lights are going to cost me around $1000.

I'm considering building my own room within the garage, but I have some concerns. I would have to build a ceiling (the garage door's track would run above it) for sure, but is a floor necessary? I'm pretty sure I want a soil grow this time (maybe bags?)

I live in CA, and the weather can be down in the 30s in the winter and over 100 in the summer. The home is new, but I'm not sure if the garage is insulated. If I build a room, do you think I need to insulate the room?

I plan to run A/C units in there as necessary, and have air-cooled hoods on the lights. Obviously there will be ventilation in and out, hooked up to a carbon filter. How important is a humidifier?

For the 8x8 flowering room, I would guess there would be 5x5 worth of actual plant space. Should I run 1x1000w, 2x600w, or 2x400w?

I plan to run t5 Florescents in the veg room. One 4' over the clones (in a tray? suggestions?), one 2' over three mothers, and a 4' over vegging plants.

Any construction advise would be much appreciated. Honestly, any tips at all would be great! Thanks.

2. I'm now thinking of building a room, wood frame and drywall. Furthermore, I'm considering putting it on wheels (in case anything ever happens to the garage door and I need to fix it).

Also, since this would include a ceiling, I think I want to run tracks that allow the lights to move, covering a larger area. I figured I can run plants to the back wall in the flower room, give me 5'x6 1/2' of plant space, and running a 1000w on a track. Also I'd run a track in the veg room with a 4' t5, rather than using a 4' and a 2' t5 Flo.

3. #3 Shankapotomus, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
    I have a garage flower room. It's a 2 car garage and I use one side.
    Getting late and I'll post some pictures and explain later, but you will be able to see what I did at my first try.This was from 2 years ago.It was torn down and redone. It is now larger and framed in. I'll throw in a clip next post
    and you can see the newest room. However I rent and my out of state landlord will be here next month to make some yearly repairs and it will come down once again.:wave:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What the heck I had a few minutes. Password is 666666 for both. This is the first room before the upgrade I did. The next is from this Winter. I have changed it again and have added air conditioning, but don't have a video up for it yet.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/19334161[/ame]
    [ame]http://vimeo.com/20776316[/ame]

4. I bought a wood frame, drywall, insulation, drains, plywood, pallets ( for floor ), and flat white paint. Should be good to go. = )

5. Nice product! I'm impressed, Shank!

I dig the setup.

6. Make sure if your enclosing it that tight that you have to consider the humidity.
    If our doing drywall I would do "Blue Board" or at least a good primer with a latex paint.
    My buckets sweat pretty good with the floors and walls getting wet.

7. The plan is to primer and paint the walls flat white.
    Floor will have linoleum, and I'll still have to figure something out for under the plants, since I think I want to use grow bags.

Natural humidity here isn't very high, and I plan to keep temps down with an A/C if needed.

I'm a little shaky on the ventilation though. I dont know how many or how powerful of fans to run...

I figure a smaller fan for the air-cooled 1000w, a small intake and larger exhaust in each room should be alright, no? Carbon filter of course.

8. Thanks for the tips. + Rep if i could