Garage Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BudWizard, Dec 15, 2008.

1. So... I'll be setting up a little grow area in my garage. Measurements will be 4'w 8'h 6'l.
    I have enclosed the area with galvanized corrugated sheet metal which is not very reflective (unlike foil). I don't want to spend a whole chunk of money on this and was wondering how crucial it is to use Mylar, or should I paint it matte white, or just leave it alone and see how the plants do? Also should I enclose the ceiling or just leave it open on top? I will be using a 400w HPS, ventilation is no prob. Wanting to flower 2-3+ plants. I have just started setting it up today, so the pix are just to give you guys a very general idea of what I'm using. As a bonus my daughter snuck into one of them.

Attached Files:

2. Bud,
    You have a nice spacious grow area! If you are worried about cost, you could just leave it. Personally, I would spend the 20 bucks or less (at least where I live) to buy a roll of mylar that would probably cover all your surfaces. If you already have a light, most of your initial cost is covered. As far as the top goes, what is your temp and humidity? You could control those elements better if it was enclosed, as I don't know what conditions you live in.

P.S. you have a beautiful daughter:)

3. just a few observations, if you dont top it, it may be easier for molds and critters to get at your babies... also as far as painting the steal or doing mylar... all that metal will cause heat to amplify so as mandoluce pointed out, temps may be an issue. What strains are you running with?

4. P.S. you have a beautiful daughter:)

I echo those sentiments. What a cutie!

I think that you have a great start on a grow cabinet. I would enclose it, for sure. And mylar and C02 are almost musts too.

If I were you, I would break it down into Phase One, Phase Two, etc. and draw up a plan. The best grow cabinets seem to come from a few levels of refinement. My cabinet space is well into Phase Three of development with just this first crop rotation! Things evolve quickly as you are presented with the strengths and weaknesses of your program / cabinet design. Check out Rumpleforeskin and Mr. Postman for examples of true excellence and inspiration.

Good luck.

gm

5. Well I'm in south Texas, so temps will stay around 40-50 until the end of February. Humidity has been in the 30's recently but is usually 50-60% during winter months. Inside the garage it's 63F as I'm writing this. I will definitely pick up the Mylar, thought it would be way more expensive than that. I think I may leave the top open. I'll just have to see it when everything else is done. My light kit will be here Thursday, and I'll probably start germing then.

6. Thanks guys! She's my best "bud" :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the advice, really do. I haven't grown anything since I was around 16 which was a few years ago-ahem.... but I am tired of all the Mexican swagweed that seems to proliferate my area. I have read some of Rumpleforeskins posts and he seems to be quite masterful and I wish he lived next door.

7. With a 4x6x8 area, you will need more light to utilize it all. If you want to grow 2-3 plants, the 400w is fine but you should enclose a smaller area because that is way more space than you need for 2-3. You could think about doing a veg room and flower room to get more of a perpetual harvest going too.

8. I agree. I have x2 400w HPS covering a 3.5 foot by 7 foot by 6 foot high space and that is about perfect. I started with one, but it did not cover. Two gives a blanket of light- even! Air cooled, sealed hoods. Well vented, etc.,etc. it is a fun project- enjoy the cabinet build. You will have much more vertical and that will really be nice. The genetics available to you now will simply blow your mind. Just keep it all on the dl.

And remember this if nothing else- she is only a little kid for a little while- enjoy it as much as possible! Before you know it, she is borrowing the car and you are not a god anymore....

just saying.

gm

9. Yeah Sail I was thinking the same thing, it is big for 3 plants so i will close it in. Not sure about the Veg/Flower rooms, I'm gonna see if i can keep this stuff alive before i delve any further into it. I don't intend to sell, so i don't want to get too out of hand with it yet.

10. And remember this if nothing else- she is only a little kid for a little while- enjoy it as much as possible! Before you know it, she is borrowing the car and you are not a god anymore....

just saying.

gm[/quote]

I know dude. Thanks.

Just so everyone knows (I've gotten some rather hateful PM's about my kid being in the pic) I don't roll doobs/load bowls/or smoke anything around my family. My kid believes this to be a new storage closet, and once the door and lock are on, she will not be admitted. So chill the #$%^ out.

11. Didn't need saying.
    I knew that.

gm

12. Look into investing in some "Panda Plastic", then line the whole interior (including floors and ceilings) with it. That way you've just taken care of light reflectivity and you just sealed your room.... the white side of the plastic will also reflect heat, essentially keeping the metal cool.

For that sized area, if your only wanting to do a couple plants... I'd go with a 1k light in the middle... your system / buckets in the center and it also gives you "walk-around" space and room for your equipment.

13. OK.... I can't find Panda Plastic anywhere. Google brings up alot of Kung Fu Panda crap. Can anyone provide a link to an online store for me please? :eek:

14. http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/pandaFilm.asp

Do you have a hydroponics store in your area? I've heard they stock this stuff. Good luck with the room!

15. #15 BudWizard, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Thanks gg

Yes there are a handful in my area, but none stock anything but Foylon and some other weird stuff made by 3M that is seriously out of my price range

16. nice little grow set up, tho ill watch out about ur daughter around ur grow, that could lead to to u getting busted. also sorry if this has been asked already, to stoned, but what do u plan to do about the smell?

17. Well it has been covered. Uh as far as the smell, shouldn't be a prob. Neighbors on both sides smoke. We live in a cul-de-sac so there is no through car traffic. I have seen one cop on my street in the last 6 years.