Gamma Ray burst gonna kill us all?

Discussion in 'General' started by jack herra, May 21, 2009.

1. Even those of use who realize it can't truly fathom it, not intuitively. We can abstract it but it's just so vast that our minds can't really truly comprehend it.

2. Yes in very sloooww sppeedd. Earth will survive for awhile after the sun explode. Remember about the light years. ;) ;)

3. The Sun is only about 8 light seconds from the Earth.

EDIT: Also, long before the Sun goes Nova it will have expanded to engulf our orbit.

4. I hope you know there is 0 science behind it. The only references to 2012 were made in 2 partially destroyed Mayan Codex's, so wherever you read that is absolute BS. Almost all of the hype being created by it is by people with no scientific background or knowledge of the subject. Conspiracy theorists ftw.

----------

As for gamma ray's, well, humanity really isn't that important anyway. Hell, earth would be much better off without all of us.

5. You're right OSG, and our race won't be along enough to even begin to comprehend it.

I was reading the other day about Generation Ships, and how to get to some place that is far away these astronauts would have to live their entire lives on the ship, have children, then their children will live their entire lives, then have children, and then maybe a few generations down the road we would reach these distant objects. It's crazy to think about. It would take hundreds of years to get to your destination, but when you look at the size of just our galaxy alone, it's like taking a walk across the street to your neighbors house.

6. I am not ruling out that some future descendant of ours may live past the death of our Solar System. They won't be human any more than Australeopithecus was though.

7. the mayan calender resets in 2012 for like the 4th time, it is just a new ers, kind of like a new century, it is not the end all. now, the only real threat at the current time is apothis or however it is spelled that will come between the moon and us, may actually be below the geostationary satelits in a few years, depending on the change in trajectory caused by the earths gravity, it may hit earth on its next pass in the year 2020something. but it will not be know until after the next pass in a few years.

8. Exactly. Nothing at all in Mayan records shows they think that there will be some kind of catastrophe. It's just the start of a new calendar.

9. You know we'll be in exact in middle of the milky galaxy by 2012. We don't know what's going happen at that time but yes, I agree. 2012 is a dawn of a new AGE. The age of Aquarius

10. Um no...we won't. We're over 2/3 of the way from the center of the galaxy. If we were at the center we wouldn't be here; it's occupied by a supermassive black hole.

You're mistaking an alignment with the middle of the galaxy with being in the middle. Very different.

11. I meant Earth is goign alignment right in the center of the milky way.

12. And it has absolutely nothing to do with anything catastrophic, no more so than when the planets align, probably less, so it's not really germane to anything.

13. Who knows. Maybe "stargate" will open. :p;)

14. True, any descendents of ours will only resemble us in very small ways.

We're always aligned with the middle of the galaxy because our galaxy is a spiral. It's like all of the solar systems are tied to the middle of the galaxy by a string and are moving around in a huge circle, no matter were we move we're always going to be aligned with the center, just on a different side of the center.

15. lol Stargate.

16. You just blew my fucking mind, too high for this shit right now.

17. Could someone please elaborate on how we are supposed to calculate the center of the galaxy, and what exactly an alignment actually means? It sounds incredibly vague.

18. As it was pointed out in a way we pretty much are in 'alignment' with the center of the galaxy all the time because we orbit it.

They can tell where the center is because of how the stars in our galaxy move around the supermassive black hole that sits there. Billions of solar masses in one black hole...it's mind boggling.

The whole 'alignment' thing is basically meaningless.