Galvanized Nail technique.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by RedganjaDown, Jan 15, 2018.

1. We shall see on this experiment. A friend who grows great cannabis in Arizona told me about this trick. It has to be a galvanized nail though because it is the zinc that causes the flowers to crystallize and get real sticky. I've never tried it before but I trust the grower who told me about this trick. I only did it on 3/5 of the plants.

Attached Files:

2. Any actual thought process behind this or just a gimmick?

Ez

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't know. The guy told me about it grows really awesome Cannabis. He gave me this trick but told me to keep it close. It has something to do with the zinc content of the galvanized nail. Evidently Zinc, as a trace element, causes a reaction which puts the plant into some sort of defensive safety reaction which causes the accelerated crystal and flower swell. I guess I'm going to find out. The nails are sealed and they're good. I drilled a very small hole and then put the nail through so it would be sealed completely.

Attached Files:

4. #4 Black-Syth, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Hmm....

I just don't understand how the plant would absorb zinc through damaged cell walls more effectively than through roots.

Also, plants don't have immune systems... and I'm presuming the salt levels in the plants themselves are quite low so I don't see how you'd be dissolving zinc for uptake into the plant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Apparently it’s supposed to quicken flowering time and the stress from the nail going into the plant causes it to grow like crazy.

Never done it before, that’s just what I got out of a quick google search. I don’t think the zinc has as much to do with it compared to the shock from being, what’s the word, impaled

• Like Like x 2
  6. I heard this was like one of those myths. The stress is supposed to make the plant produce more resin nd trichs.

Good luck tho maybe it works

• Like Like x 1

7. I’ve read about this I’ve always been told it’s a myth.

It’s actually the stress that’s supposed to cause the increased resin and trich production, hopefully it works for him.

I just think there’s better ways out there to stress out your plant during flower to cause this.
    Such as light deprevation for 72-24 hours before harvest

• Like Like x 2
  8. Got it.

Wonder if I'll get bigger cabbages and bigger tomatoes doing this next year.

:apache:

• Like Like x 3
  9. This is not a myth. It is based on circumstantial things that growers have observed over time. Cannabis is an annual. Annuals can respond well to stress. Stressing the plant is one of the ways to force it to produce and force it to be high potency. The major functions of the oil glands on the plant are to defend it from damaging radiation and predators. When a plant is roughed up it can increase it's oil production in a defensive move.

I've heard these type of legends for 20 years. I remember hearing about a guy who fell on one of his plants drunk early in flower and snapped the main stem including many branches. He got up hung over the next morning and took out a roll of duct tape/baling wire. He taped up all the broken branches. This was the exact same plant as the others in his garden.

Months later when the plants finished this plant that got crushed was noticeably better tasting and more stoney then the others in the garden.

I've seen this same thing described without using a galvanized nail. The technique of splitting the stem is to cause stress to hopefully cause the plant to respond in a way that increases potency and yield. I'm not sure that the zinc nail has anything to do with it.

I think this stress process forcing the plant to respond is one of the reasons that supercropping works so well.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lol I wouldn’t try it personally bro, I mean if it was all about zinc why wouldn’t you just be adding it to your feeding...

We all know what too much stress can do during flowering to our ladies, the right amount of stress towards the end is what I’d aim for and I don’t think stabbing a nail thru the stem is the best way to do that personally.

But like I said good luck hope it works for this guy

• Like Like x 1
  11. My friend just told me about yesterday. So I went and bought a box of galvanized roofing nails. I only did it to 3/5 plants. Follow along with me and let's see what happens. It'll be interesting to observe and watch in this particular setting and environment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. What are the controls and variables?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I completely agree and I stated that stress does make the plant produce more resin and trichomes, I’m just saying idk if driving a nail thru the stem is the best way personally and I’d probably look for an alternative way to produce the stress

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've seen a similar thread on GC. I think the last one was a dowel through the stem. Then he tied it above and below the stem to keep it from splitting further.

Lots of old time growers have seen random stress of a single plant end up making one more potent or a higher producer. There may be a better way to do it. I can't really speak to the practice since I've never tried it. I prefer high p&k nutrients and supercropping for my beneficial stress.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I personally supercrop as well, I also put my ladies under light deprevation for 3 days before harvest

16. The variables are that all of the nails came from the same box, i used the same drill bit to drill the hole through the stalks and then pushed the larger nail through the hole. I did 2-White Widow and the Amnesia Haze plant. It's one of the two taller plants in the picture.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. It would be nice if you keep this thread updated on the progress and let up know if you see a difference in the bud on the plants with nails.

You have so much empty space in that tent for more tops. You could harvest 3-4 times as much if you veg longer. You should have a wall to wall canopy and no floor. I'm day 57 since flip.
    IMG_8807.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  18. I do a version of this. I use a knife through the trunk(s). Always have. I reckon the zinc has nothing to do with it as much as it is the physical trauma to the plant that has the desired effect. This is a very old technique BTW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Look at my name . I made a joke out of it. I shoved a dagger clear through mine in the past a few time it doesnt do crap brother

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  20. Oh boy.

I wonder why all the big commercial growers don’t do this?

I’ve also been hearing about this and similar techniques (myths) forever but that doesn’t mean I’d ever do it.

J

• Like Like x 2