FYI Easy Ozone Generator

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by NdicaBud, Nov 13, 2001.

1. This thing's easy to make. Gives off a bluish-purple hue, a little bit of a buzz and a fresh odor . Very nice suttle smell of ozone , put it on a timer,could add small fan.
    CONSTRUCTION:

I used a free 7500V neon transformer from a sign vendor, got some scrap (but new) alum. window screen, an 8' 18/3 cord with a male plug, some wood screws, a 3 1/2" X 5" piece of glass from a cheapo photo frame, and got after it. Total cost, about $6.

Mounted the transformer using its base mounts to a 4" X 17" X 3/4" plywood board, attached the 18/3 wire cord to the primary side of the transformer including the ground wire for safety.

Cut two screens about 3/8" smaller than the outside dimensions of the glass. I then folded one corner over, punched a small hole with an ice pick through the corner and threaded some wire through the hole so it would be easy to solder - the physical contact between the stripped wire coming from the secondary side of the transformer thru the hole must be good. I soldered the wire leads to the corner of the precut screens using a little flux for prepping, a heavy duty solder iron, and regular flux core electronic solder. Be sure the wire is twisted tightly so that a positive solder connection can be made. After the wires were affixed to the screens, I mounted them to the plate glass, one on each side, using a hot glue gun with about a drop at each corner of the screen. The wire gauge from the secondary side to the screen should be 16 or better.

Mounted the plate glass (using the glue gun) in a groove (which can be cut with a table saw) directly in front of the mounted transformer, and connected the screen wire leads to the secondary side of the transformer.

I had a problem with the glue sticking to the glass initially, so I chemically frosted off the "gloss" by using etching solution found at hobby stores. You should do this or the vibration from the plates will be such that the glue will not hold. Also, found that "Goop" glue with a hot glue gun worked the best after frosting the glass. Silicone cement should also work well.

Try it you'll like it.........................peace

2. I'll post another ballast type later......

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. These ballasts can be found on neon beer-signs or any other neon fixture...this particular one is from a Michelob sign...7.500v.........

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. [​IMG]

Attached Files: