fungus gnats

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mellowmushie, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Alright there is plenty of threads with people like myself the new grower that have these unwanted visitors swarming around our new grow freaking us out. I just have a idea I wanted to throw around and also some information I wanted to learn.

1. Since these bugs need to fly around would they continue to lay eyes and reproduce if I where to cover my pots up with garden black out felt would blacking them out kill them off (you know nocturnal elimination) by doing this I keep the air born ones from landing and reproducing in my soil.

2. What kind of damage do they cause to the plants specifically root or leaf wise

my little ladies are just 3 weeks old and booming but they're autos so I'm trying to
    avoid doing anything to shock them. Right now this is my immediate plan of action
    - stop watering them and let the soil dry out a bit
    -take them out the room and wipe walls shelf and floors with alcohol
    - try to suppress them my putting the felts over soil and keeping them down

My only concern with this is that they just keep digging down but it sounds like a solid hypothesis for the moment.

Any comments knowledge or experience shared would gladly be appreciated

Thanks for stopping by
    -MM
    @_0

2. They do not spawn from fungus they spawn from fresh healthy soil and are born of healthy microbes. A will managed grow area (heat wise) will eliminate the desirable climate for these tiny fellows.

Though to answer multiple of your questions with a general statement; the gnats will do you no harm. Lower your day time temps for a couple cats and they will vanish!

Tuckerjonesisreal
    They do not spawn from fungus they spawn from fresh healthy soil and are born of healthy microbes. A will managed grow area (heat wise) will eliminate the desirable climate for these tiny fellows.

Though to answer multiple of your questions with a general statement; the gnats will do you no harm. Lower your day time temps for a couple cats and they will vanish!

Tuckerjonesisreal

3. Spray the top of the soil with a neem and water mixture, or buy neem meal and incorporate it into your soil, of course with an auto you don't want to transplant so this isn't really an option

4. I had a few fungus gnats recently.  I just put sticky traps and their population never got to explode as they all seemed to die while numbers were small.

5. Roger that thank you guys for the information and advice I am going to do all three of yours recommendations.
    @pikkerc- how many days should I run at lower Temps
    @CanadianOrganic- Neem oil is added to my shopping list for my next run into town and I'll grab some meal too thanks
    @D_Urbmon- how big was your space?

6. 2 days MAX should do it.

Tuckerjonesisreal