Fully Content?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by blazer12345, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Is it possible to ever be fully content? What would it feel like? You always have a thought bothering you or an itch bothering you so can you imagine being fully content? Youd have to be in such a tranquil state you wouldnt know you were content. Thoughts?

2. If you take the idea of being content and apply it literally to your life or life as a whole, it's not possible. Being fully content would mean being fully satisfied.. and as we are physical beings, we need to constantly satisfy our need to consume energy to live if nothing else.

To me, contentment isn't really a positive thing. It's different than accepting yourself for who you are.. Say you were 300 lbs. If you were content with how you are, you wouldn't try to lose any weight.. but you can accept yourself and that you're currently 300 lbs, but not feel content with it the fact and actively work toward improvement. I suffer from the kind of contentment I speak of and it seems like a lot of people do, but most cover it up (directly or indirectly) by saying they're actually just accepting of themselves and ignore the feeling of contentment.

3. I have felt a state of 100% contentment before, but I was not sober.

4. As a temporary state, then you sober up and realize it's time to play dress up for another 5 days.

5. Are you saying being content is actually learning to accept something, rather then a state of fulfillment?

No, while they can seem similar, contentment and acceptance are different. Contentment is a state of fulfillment, a state of satisfaction, but you don't have to be satisfied to accept something.. Instead of looking at contentment as learning to accept something, look at it as being forced to accept something. You can accept something, but not be content with it.. but if you're content, you're pretty much being forced into acceptance even if you know you shouldn't accept it.

I'll try to expand on my fat man example. You have 2 guys, both 300 lbs, both know it's not healthy for them and that it's negatively effecting their lives. One accepts the fact that he is 300 lbs but isn't content with being 300 lbs, so he works hard over the next year to drop down to 200 lbs. The other is content with his weight and the fact that it's negatively impacting his life and doesn't feel like doing shit to change it.. Rather than seeming lazy or weak-willed, he'll lie to others and himself and say that he is just truly accepting of himself, when in reality his acceptance was simply born from his contentment.

7. I get you. Interesting.

8. wait, what?

9. I am fully content.

There are times that I forget myself momentarily and lapse back into a state of uncontentedness, but I always find contentment again.

Bliss lies within, the highest truth when found, gives all that you could desire.

10. You know those working days when you put on those trousers and button up that shirt, gotta look "smart". I'm not content with working boring jobs just to make rent, but it's a reasonable solution if I want a roof over my head and food in the fridge.

11. I look at my life now and I'm content with it so far. Life is about taking it day by day. You're more fortunate than most in this world and I don't take it for granted and no one should. Live your life. Cheers everybody.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I feel like we reach full contentment when we are around our friends and the people we love.IMO I think we are only content in certain moments in reality we spend the majority of our time stressing over money, our jobs, and bullshit. Sometimes I feel like I'm only truly content about 1/4 of the time. I will escape.

"We can't stay here this is bat country"-Fear and Loathing

13. Anything that takes us out of the moment can be said to remove contentment. Contentment is the result of acceptance. Non resistance to what is. Friends and love definitely help as you can feel more present with them. But doing anything that creates presence brings contentment with it.

14. I believe if you reached a point of absolute contentedness in every aspect of your life that it would mean you've reached enlightenment. Other than that, i don't think you can ever really be fully content. Like the op said, you always have a thought bothering you or something, to completely rid yourself of this seems like it would be extremely difficult.

15. #15 blazer12345, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014