Full LB BHO run

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by blazedank, Jul 24, 2013.

1. I have 13 ounces of trim thats a little dry but still fresh from the plant within 5 days. Should i really put it in a food dehydratore for a couple hours or should i just go ahead and run it? I've never put nugs through dehydratore before but i heard if you do you can yeild upwards of %20  in return. Is this true does it make the oil more quality and quantity? I ran 15 grams last night and i got a gram of erl and its pretty bomb. My thing is thats a 15 to one ratio and this is way to bomb of trim for it to be that low return there looked like there was still a lot of trichomes on the weed. I feel like if i dehydrate my return would be more quantity and quality. should i just go run it now or dehydrate first?

any help would be appreacited. id really love to do this today ill postup pics if i start getting replies :)

2. #2 moreherb, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
    I ran all my trim through a dehydrator vac sealed it and froze it till I was ready for it. I blasted it yesterday and ended up with 4 grams off 2.8oz. This was my first run with the vac purge and Im nice with anything cooking related. Id say its some pretty clear/amber shatter taffy . I heard that in order to get a clearer product that dehydrating is the way to go. I happened to have an extra dehydrator layin around and gave the whole process a go. It makes more sense to dehydrate trim and eliminate more chlorophyll & plant water from new trim. I let it go for more than a couple hours because it was over 3oz trim in a dehydrator & im just focusing on removing all the moisture so I just have trim and thc to blast. I believe that dehydrating would ensure that whatever you make doesn't taste like lawn grass.

3. dont do any of that. Get a vac/chamber if you dont have one already(you definitely should) and vac dry your material without heating the chamber. With solvent extractions you want your starting material to be very dry and a vacuum desiccator will do it better/quicker ;)

4. #4 moreherb, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
    So why wouldn't you want to dehydrate your fresher trimmings? I understand that if your bud/trim is dry than just store it till your ready for use but if it is on the drying rack for 10 days and your about to put it in a tube why not dehydrate it until you smell the aroma of good bud in the air like potpourri. How long is it going to take to take the moisture out of slightly dry and curing material with a vac and dessicator, and wouldn't you ruin your clean dessicator with kief and all that stuff that takes extra work to clean out your dessicator? 

I am trying to get this right and have all the right equipment but everyone's opinions do not add up.

I dehydrate my trimmings and everything is dry. Dehydrator's should not go over 110 degrees and they work efficiently for preserving the flavors in food and I haven't noticed any flavor degradation of bud with using one. I can dehydrate lemon chips fine and the oils in them do not brown on me, so I wouldn't believe a dehydrator would turn your oil even more brown. 

Every notable thread I have seen on Bho suggest the use of a dehydrator and they also note improved clarity of product. I have also read other threads that say you can freeze fresh bud and blast your butane in 32degrees and manage to just get the trichomes as long as you suspend the water in the buds. To my understanding this means that the less water is better. When you dehydrate you get less water.

Also I have seen other peoples idea's that more mature bud gives you darker oil and less mature give you crystal clear. I had my dehydrator sitting in the corner not being used until I bought my vac so I may need a strong reason on to why I should leave it in that corner.

5. I have used fresh trim strait to the dehydrator then frozen solid after they are dry before running my BHO, this is how I always do it, I do need to invest in a vacuum though.

6. LOL you must not understand how that works. Why use 110F and oxidize your terpenes faster? Use a vac with no heat and it will preserve them better and do it quicker. It doesnt get your chamber all dirty, simply put nugs in a container, pull chamber down to 25-29 and shut valve/pump off. I usually so an ounce for about 20 minutes but it will take longer doing larger batches with wetter material.

Nonetheless, the vac is far superior to that.

7. How do you know when they're done our moisture free?
    Is 20 about good enough for properly cured buds?

8. you have to feel them, if they're nice and crisp, they're good. There's no science behind it really, you're just drying material. and time all depends on how much you're drying.

9. I see a lot of people using a dehydrator etc, I use one per advice on stupidstuff thread(s). Dont many of you live in the nw? I live in the ie socal and its really dry here so is drying out material really that neccessary? Would a dehydrator at 95 degress for a few hours effect the material? Thanks in advance.

10. you probably shouldnt need to but it all depends on the material you get, not where you live. has to do with the material being harvested, dried, and stored properly. if your material doesnt feel moist/spongy you should be fine but like I've said before, the vacuum chamber does it without heat

11. Not sure why people are so against dehydrators.  Mine can run with a temp as low as 90 degrees.  You can';t tell me that is degrading terps.  If that were the case my weed would be going to shit just sitting around in the summer here.  air temp is often way above 90 degrees.  I however would not use the dehydrator over 100 degrees.  I have done both methods and actually prefer the taste of the dehydrated material.  keep in mind I also live in a hight humidity are.  Obviously if your dehydrator doesn't have a temp setting don't use it, but below 100 degrees is fine.

12. you must not understand very much about terpenes then. some of the lightest monoterpenes start evaporating at room temp, why do you think you can smell your weed?

its simple science, dry your material with high heat and lose some terps or do it at colder temps and preserve them. I like my terps so I do anything I can to preserve them, if you dont then fine, I'm just offering advise as to preserve the flavor.

13. I always say you Jimmy are the final answer.  I have learned much from you my friend.  I guess I didn't really realize that terps start degrading at room temperature, but now you say it it makes perfect sense.  I don't by any means call myself an expert, more like a beginner.  I have only been running my stuff for about a year.  I really was looking for a bit more of a scientific answer, not just a dehydrator kills terps with its high heat.  Kind of one reason for posting that response.  Thanks for giving to me.  Learn something new everyday.