fruit fly problem

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Poobrick, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Hey there! I have learned a lot from reading posts here looking for an answer to this I would like to first say "thank you!" to all of you for your combined knowledge.

I am a first time grower with bag seeds and it seems I have a fly problem. I tried two different sprays to control/kill them and it is not working. I am in the budding stage with two cloned fems and the flies are getting at the leaves and I am worried all this work will be for nothing. Any suggestions on how to kill them off? I am ready to start hanging fly paper from the stems and everywhere I can put it. I think the problem is the spray may be killing the ones I spray, but the larva are not dying. Thanks for any help you can provide! :smoke:

2. #2 Isolus, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
    Are you sure they are Fruit flys?
    Drain flies: breed in drains, sewers, septic tanks and soil that has been contaminated with sewage.
    Fruit flies: can be spotted around fresh fruits/vegetables, rotting fruits and vegetables, drains, garbage and damp organic materials
    Phorid Flies : are found in sewage contaminated soil, garbage, drains, human cadavers, rotting vegetables and fruit, garbage as well as damp organic materials​
    Sphaerocerid Flies: may be found in manure, damp organic material, drains, rotting fruits and vegetables and garbage​

Those are the most common type of "gnats" and they all share the common treatment.

Clean the area thoroughly, leave no garbage around for them to munch on, secure fruits and veggies in the fridge or plastic containers, and try to avoid over watering your plants.

One trick to kill them is to put a half cup of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of dish soap in a shallow dish...it attracts the flies and kills them.

3. I had a problem with them in my current grow area. All I did was buy a 6 pack of sticky fly traps from the dollar store for around $3 and stuck them to the sides of my grow box. Seemed to do the trick but I don't know what your dimensions are and you certainly don't want your plant growing into the strips.