Frost: harvest early, or leave

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ninja scrub, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Well we're supposed to be getting frost this thursday, which is about 2 or 3 weeks earlier than usual and i was wondering if i should harvest before the frost hits, or wait until my babies are fully ripe.
    My main concern is potency. I've heard that frost can damage trichomes (they freeze, burst, and thus potency is decreased), is this true? I dont mind yield much at all, just quality. (by quality i dont mean just potency, but flavour, smell, and bag appeal as well)

2. im pretty sure water is the only chemical that expands when it freezes, so thc trichs, while filled with liquid, should not burts if frozen, what i actually think happens is the frost causes the water inseide the plant's cells to freeze, thus expand, and cause the cell walls to burst, most plants can bounce back from a single frost, but if its going to be multiple frosty mornings in a row, i would harvest the night before the first expected frost....DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS INFO, i dnt know for sure, im only using my own logic, as i was too lazy to look it up, but it sounds right to me xD

3. Sounds good to me haha
    I harvested one plant (the only bagseed that survived), and left the most trichome covered one to grow to its full potential (unless thats fucked up by the frost). She's mostly indica too, so she would (i assume) do better in cooler temps than the bagseed, which was mostly sativa.

4. Or just protect it from the frost. Cover her up. Make sure that no leaves are touching.

5. I would but thats not an option, it's too close to the neighbors (they didnt start building there until after the grow was started) so they would figure out somethins goin on.

6. Very durable plants...suppose to be 30* here tonight. My experience I've noticed the temps right around the freezing mark tend to kick the girls into gear and they start budding profusely.By the time I harvest mine,they will likely have seen temps in the upper 20s and have had no damage. My past experience is that after a couple of 28-32* nights, they get and stay real 'frosty';), even when it warms back up. Ive got too many to be running around trying to cover them.Just my opinion