From seed vs. from clone harvest time.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Baked Bread Baker, Apr 5, 2015.

1. My first plant grew from seed and was about 4.5 months old after harvest. She had issues in her life but made it to the end with over 3 oz. I harvested at the beginning and end of week 8 but she probably could have went another week still putting out new pistils, but I had to finish her.

Now I tossed a couple weak clones from her into flower 8 weeks ago, not the best looking girls, lacking a lot of fan leaves due to practicing defoliating. Now just finishing week 7 it seems to be done, no noticeable new calyx or pistil production and majority coverage of brown pistils.

Is this something that could be a seed vs. clone thing, or most likely just poor clone/veg life.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Clones in general finish quicker/easier than their moms because they're just as old as that plant you just harvested from making it easier to enter the flowering period. I used to only grow from seed but recently switched to running a stable of clones just for this reason. Also don't defoliate your plants going into flower, leaves are like little solar panels used to make food for the rest of the plant. Only remove em if they're dead or covering a large bud.

3. clones. Seeds are way less reliable.

4. #4 killset, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    You just need to get cloning down a bit smoother and you'll be fine. Don't put weak plants into flower, get them healthy first. You don't want your plants spending valuable flowering time trying to repair itself and get healthy. Always go into flower with healthy plants.

5. They were just throw away clones while the healthy ones became a mother and a bonsai vegging for flower. Was just playing around with the extra clones trying to see what I can expect from the strain.

Definitely need to get better at cloning, built a bubble cloner and have a round sitting in it right now.

6. I havent started a seed in many years now. Everything I grow is a clone. I find there can be as much as a week difference in plants started the same time in maturing.

7. #7 killset, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    I've cloned a few different ways, bubble cloners being my least favorite. Just a personal choice. I've also done jiffy pucks, rapid rooters, perlite, cup of water. My favorite is cloning straight into soil. Easy and simple. I still use a cloner from time to time, but they are definitely not necessary. The advantage of a bubble cloner for me is saving space. My cloner holds 21 cutting and takes up a lot less space then 21 solo cups. When I clone just a few plants I always just do soil. You'll get what works best for you figured out and be set.....good luck man