From MG Organic to Fox Farm, help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheMatrix, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Hi,

Let's say, a friend, has some plants that aren't doing too well. They're all exhibiting, to varying degrees, stunted growth. Some are getting brown spots, almost all have twisted leaves. They're 4 weeks old (in party cups) but look like other people's 2 week old ones. I think this is due to the crappy MG Organic Potting Mix that was used and the nute burn and messed up pH that comes along with it. They're far from dead though, and they need to be repotted anyway.

So how does one correct this problem? Fox Farm Ocean Forrest and a digital pH meter will be in play tomorrow, but what should be done to prepare? Should they be thoroughly flushed prior to repotting? Or should they be repotted, then flushed?

Rather than me babbling on and on, here's a list of questions for any kind soul who would be willing to answer:

1. How big of a pot do you need? I've read so many conflicting things here, I've seen pictures of people using small terra cotta-style pots, and other people using huge garbage can sized ones. I understand that root development plays an important role in yield, but what is the "average" size pot that isn't going to take up the room?

2. How best do you repot when you want to get rid of crappy soil they're already in? Flush as best as possible first, then plop the whole clump into the good dirt?

3. Once they're in Fox Farm, should they be ferted? They aren't seedlings anymore, so I'd think they'd need some sort of nutrients about now. I read Fox Farm Gro-Big (veg stage, aka now) and Fox Farm Tiger Bloom (flowering stage) are good choices. Does that sound right?

Thanks! :D

2. I planted seedlings in scotts MG pre ferted and MG organic pre ferted mine didnt get it burned but it can happen I guess, never use the pre ferted stuff because even if it doesnt burn, you wont be able to feed nutes for a while and it can be extremely hard to flush it out completely.

Its good your getting some good soil, and your pH should remain balanced because Fox Farm comes pH balanced, but always great to have a pH pen.

You can use as big of a pot as you want, I would say go for 3-5 gallon, 5 if you have the space, my plants were already bounded by 6 weeks in 3, probably got bounded around 4 even though, they grow quick espcially when you give them more space. You want something decent though so you have a nice sized plant.

You want to wait until the plant is pretty much bounded so its going to keep all the soil together really well, by 4 weeks even with stunted growth I would say this shouldnt be a problem, not to mention there party cups. That actually could also be a factor in the stunted growth, if you dont give them space for root growth they wont get much bigger. Its easy with party cups just flip upside have dirt and hold big enough to fit it in and your done. Its harder with bigger plants I just transplanted from 3-5+(this one wasnt marked in gal, its like 22 liters though so its pretty big), and even though it was bounded the dirt started falling apart quickly, try to avoid your roots getting loose, but over all your plant will take the transplant alright. Wet the dirt too, it also makes it easier to form a hole so you can just plop the new transplant in and add some dirt and pack it in.

Do NOT fert them right now, new soil always has SOME nutrients, not so like pre ferted nutes, this only lasts about 2-3 weeks or so I think, I never started anything in good soil I do not know but they say wait at least 3-4 weeks before adding ferts, go with 4 just to be safe and always start 1/4 what they say. So do not add nutes and wait I would say like 2 or so weeks until you can tell they are growing again. The Fox Farm nutes are fine to use, I dont use them but other people do, just remember to wait till it gets bigger you might not even end up using a vegging nute.