From HPS to LED

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 101Reasonns, Jul 12, 2020.

1. At one time in the laundry room I tried growing with a 600 watt HPS light like having the sun in your house. Got tired of running that twelve hours a day. From 6pm to 6am the sun was just to bright and costly. I stopped growing for awhile. Started reading and getting confused on LED and COBB lights and what is a good PAR reading? Confusing until you try. I bought a small LED grow light with a bloom grow area of 2 X 2 ft. Veg area is 2.5 X 2.5 ft. I have a 450 watt led light. I have five tall plants in five 2-gallon grow bags. I put a piece of string around the top of all the plants and pulled them into a 20 X 20 inch grow area. With the taller plants on the outer part of grow area so they receive less light than the shorter ones in the middle of grow area to receiving more light. I'm on the 6th week and they're turning out to my surprise pretty good. Buds aren't as big as under a hps light. But the buds I am growing are tight and filled with trichomes. First grow not bad. Looking forward to next grow and a low electricity bill.

2. You'll get better yields per watt with LED's. I think it's sub 1gram a watt for HPS then it's somewhere like 1.5g-2.7g for LED's. I'm probably way off, tho. Someone here will tell me. :)