Fridge Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Fixin, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Alright guys and gals, Iam currently laid up at home for a few weeks, just had surgery yesterday I need a project to over engineer.

I picked up a 28 cu ft side by side fridge the other day and thought I might be able to make a cool grow cab for my garage out it.

Here is the plan. The fridge will be gutted of all the mechanical parts and essentially leave me with a 26in wide by 18in deep by 61in high area to use as a flower chamber and a 12in wide by 18in deep by 61 in high veg and storage area.

On the flower side I plan on either putting a 400w or 250w hps, with a passive intake and a 4 in inline exhaust fan along with 2 small clip on fans.

On the veg side I plan on using a couple 2 ft T5 flouros and cfl's. I will use a couple of computer fans as intake and exhaust fans along with a couple small clip on fans.

I have always grow outdoors organic and this will be the first time I try something like this. Ian thinking I can flower four plants at a time and on my geographic location should be able to pull of 4 harvests a yr.

I will be running a cool tube light on the flower side with a 4 in inline fan and was thinking about exhausting the hot air into the veg side when outside temps are cooler. This would mean that I will run my lights on opposite schedules for veg and flower. This should keep my little girls on the veg side nice and warm while there sleeping and keep them from streching to much. If outside temps are warm I will put a bypass vale in the flower light exhaust line to just send it out the back.

Just looking for input, will using a fridge work. Has anyone here done the same thing. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

2. I'm converting a small fridge myself, I haven't started growing in it yet, need a few more parts and pieces. I'm in a colder climate, so the insulation is a must, just not sure if i'll have enough ventilation for the summer months. I have a temp controller in my other grow(its outside as well), lots of insulation to keep the heat in, if it gets to hot the fan for the cool tube starts up, taking heat away from the flower room to the mother chamber. I do have a bit of a problem with humidity when its around zero outside, just can't run the ventilation too much or it gets too cold(50 degrees F). Good luck!!

Breezy

3. This is what Iam starting out with

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. very cool man, i'll have my eye on this

5. I have an upright freezer that i'm waiting on a fan/filter combo then i'll get some pics started. Mine is 24wX20dX40h:wave:

6. Ok realized t5 setup for veg side won't work was pretty stoned on t3s and this yrs take. So this is what we have a 12x18 veg area that I would like to veg 4 plants from 12-16 ins under. What are my lighting options? I have been thinking cfl's might be the way to go but keep reading mixed reviews on the web and am really confused. What do you guys think?

7. im making a stealth grow closet 5ft tall 41" wide 23' deep using a hps/mh grow light with all white walls planing on making a carbon filter and air cooled hood this will be a all soil grow with one plant any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. What do you question? Anythings possible. If you build it, they will come.

9. its a stealth cardboard box with a wood frame inside. I also have a question on how to make my exhaust fan quieter it pushes a lot of air but its LOUD like a mega hair dryer ( not so stealth )

10. Hps + cardboard = fire. Terrible idea.

11. LOL guys!! its not its a wood box the card bord box around it is its camouflage for stealth

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ah, 10-4! Just making sure, it wouldnt be the first cardboard box fire hazard grow ive seen on the forums!

13. So my hands started to feel a little better so I decided to gut the fridge of all the things that make it a fridge. I have been working on a diy cfl reflector for my veg side and will post some pics in a few days. HPS and fans should hopefeully be here by next week.

14. I've had my mini running for about 10 days, seems to get a little warm on the warmer days, but I've been messing with my ventilation too, new fan on the way!! My plant still hasn't sexed yet, seems like its been in 12/12 for over two weeks.....

Get some pics up Fixin, love to see what you've done.

15. Any updates?

ForumRunner_20130219_081559.png

16. So here is the fridge about 75% done, still waiting for my 4" fan and carbon filter to show up and need to clean up some wiring. I have ran my nanodome and homemade cfl fixture for a couple days and now have my temps dialed in. So here is a question, can anybody recommend some strains that will stay short. I realize this has alot to do with veg time but some strains just stay pretty short to begin with. Iam thinking my first grow in this contraption will be Barneys Blue Cheese. Anyways let me know what you think?

Attached Files:

17. Awesome. Glad to see the pics. Indicas are usually shorter. Some training is almost always needed. No beans yet?

18. I have been used to growing Christmas trees so the beans I have are more geared towards my outdoor growing season. I am just interested in hearing what other people have grown short.

19. Just grow your favorite strain and top it twice, then flowaa powaaa

20. Wow... That's a great idea man! Very unique and super stoner status, but I may have a.few questions about it... Can you put a little curing station in there? Also, how do you use the lights in there? Does a cord go out the back of the fridge? I like the idea a lot, you deserve the Stoner medal! xP

STAY HIGH, OR DIE