freezing after harvesting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by afghanman, Nov 27, 2006.

1. So I'm supposed to harvest a couple days before i leave and I won't be back for two weeks after I leave. I won't have time to dry it and I dont want to let it dry out for two weeks. I was wondering if it is alright to freeze a recently harvested plant or if all the extra water in the plant would make it really bad to freeze?
    Also, I have a few other general questions.
    1) Since I'm moving to aeroponic on my next grow, I'm giving up organic nutrients which I have been using for soil(I heard organics were harder in aero from my local hydrogarden owner). I was wondering if anyone is a fan of Advanced Nutrients? I would be slowly filling out the 2+ program starting with the 4 main ones (Grow and Bloom parts A and B) and big bud and carboload.
    2) Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should build my aeroponic setup or any general tips for aero?

2. High hanman! use a fruit/veg dehydrater. dries in a day. next day place in paper bag. they should be fine in there as long as kept cool. either that, or hang them with leaves attached and fan blowing on them. for the whole two weeks. they will dry slower that way. once again, keep cool. neither is ideal of course.
    Also, you can use organic nutes in an areoFLOW unit.(like general hyponics sell)
    Peace, TBug

3. Alright, so it sounds like food dehydrator is the way to, go, but will that make it a harsher smoke? Also, I'd still like to know if it is possible to just freeze the entire thing in a regular freezer then thaw it and dry it out regularly two weeks later.

As for putting bud in a paper bag, what does that do, exactly? the way I've heard to dry and cure is drying it hanging it on string in a dark place with air blowing over them pretty evenly in a room-temperature room then curing in an airtight container letting it breathe for an hour or two every day. Would this work and if so, where would a paper bag come in?

As for the organic nutrients, my hydro store guy said you can do it, but it's almost not worth the work since it's pH is all over the place and is too thick. The aero system I'm planning on building will have jet sprayers spraying up onto the top of the container and the mesh nets holding pebble with roots coming out. I feel like Advanced Nutrients' 2+ system, although expensive once I buy it all, is the perfect system and seems to be formulated specifically for this growing. I have a million questions now that I'm starting a new medium, but I'll ask those tomorrow after I've gone back to the hydrogarden.

4. Freezing fresh bud(when ya freeze bud the water in each cell will expand and rupture each and every cell) will give ya' a very harsh smoke when dried and a VERY Unstable trichome situation the post that the trichome is attached to becomes very unstable when it is cold/frozen (pretty much the idea behind the "ice hash" process) if you intend to make hash freeze it if not dry it ....do not seal it up (mold) let it over dry by sittin' out (in a sealable container that will hold it all and a small jar).......when ya' git' home do not disturb the bud or the jar in the middle insert a wet paper towel into the jar seal up the container and wait check the bud every few hours until it reaches the moisture level you desire...it may take a coupla' days.

Dr. Bud Greenegenes :smoking: D.M.C.:smoking: