Freedom?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Verdurous, May 12, 2011.

1. How can we ever say we live in a free world or a free country when it's near impossible to merely attain a visa or move to another country? That's not freedom; I feel like a prisoner of the United States and might as well be.

2. slow down there...you just woke up to reality it seems...don't go to fast, the truth causes a lot to be depressed, lose faith in our country, but if you stick to the truth, you'll know what to do soon enough...(1776 thing...):cool:

3. Freedom is relative.
    Americans are pretty free but I'd say you can do much better and there are definately places where the people are more free.

4. Make no mistake, we are not free if you go by the real definition of free. We are "free" like "here in the land of the free we are lucky enough to have dogma that tell us what we can and cannot do."

Here in the land of the free cops can arrest you for cussing even though our first amendment says that I can say whatever the FUCK I want. You can whatever choice you want..so long as the government says that it's right. Go against it and you become a criminal. You can pick whatever religion you want but really if your anything other than some form of Christianity your probably gonna get some harrasment. The color of your skin, your gender, and your sexual orientation are not ment to be factors when dealing with other people. But we all know that's not true. It should be, and it is for many of us, mostly tokens I think, but it's not entirely true.

There are a couple quotes that will help emphasize my point, "It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it." - George Washington

"Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it." - Woodrow Wilson

The second one leads to my oppinio. That really..only democrats and liberals are true Americans. Republicans for the most part only care about getting re-elected so that they can line their pockets with as much money as they can screw out of the less rich people, and if you don't want to only steal money and help the wealthy to fuck over the non wealthy..well then fuck you (what the republican would say).

5. tsk tsk...just when you showed promise, you fell back into the bipartisan mindset trap...

G. Washington thought the party system was a bad idea...Jefferson too...because it splits and divides the people allowing for government to seize more control over them...

"I can scarcely contemplate a more incalculable evil than the breaking of the Union into two or more parts." --Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1792. ME 8:346

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny” Thomas Jefferson

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government” Thomas Jefferson

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” Thomas Jefferson

Founding fathers knew what would happen..but the sheeple fell asleep after being lulled with talk of safety, security...at the price of freedoms and liberties...(see what Ben Franklin said about that...)

6. Great quote.

7. We are more free than most, most of the laws in place today truly do protect us. They certainly make life more difficult, and much of the time these laws are way too overbearing, but life isnt all that bad.

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it." - George Washington

[​IMG]

"Governments exist to protect the rights of minorities. The loved and the rich need no protection: they have many friends and few enemies.” - Wendell Phillips

8. :rolleyes:

Rich people are a minority group too, and they have far more enemies than friends.

The key is how powerful their friends are, and who gives them that power. Turns out their enemy is unwittingly working for them...

9. True that, i was actually looking more for a quote that was more aligned with protecting from evil. Hope it didnt look like I was solely talking about class warfare..

10. #10 Verdurous, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    They also have all the money in the world (literally lol) to either hire them as assassins or have them assassinated (hence having many friends). Enemies, historically, aren't too much of a problem for the rich unless they already have money themselves.