Fox farm ocean forest soil and fertilizing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ravenspyz7, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hey all, im on week 4 of my grow right now. I started my seeds off in 3 gallon pots with fox farm ocean forest soil. Some people have said that FFOF soil has a lot of nutes to begin with. My question is, is it safe to fertilize my plants in veg even though i have this nute filled soil? When would be the safest time to start using nutrients? BTW im using bontanicare pure blend pro line for nutrients. Any input would be helpful. thanks

2. #2 auto146, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    Between what I've read on the forum and what the guy at the hydro shop told me, You can start adding nutrients about 3 weeks in. Always start at at least half of the recommended dosage, if not a 1/4. Let the plants tell you what they want. Look for the leaf tips to curl down or burn and die.

If you start having problems, start by checking PH first. Check input water and runoff.

The strength of nutrients is strain dependant. Some like more, some like less. I use the House and Garden line, I follow the feeding chart and I haven't had any problems starting nutrients from week 1.

Also, it depends on what kind of water you are using. Tap water usually has enough Calcium in it and will start your ppms higher than if you're using RO (reverse osmosis). This will affect how much nutrient solution you can add to the water.

If I use straight RO water in my FFOF, I see calcium deficiencies beginning in the 3 week.

HTH

3. IMO Ocean Forest is not a good medium. I use sunshine 4 and pearlite.
    There are no nutes so the only things my plants get is exactly what I give them. Also Ocean Forest compacts over time causing the soil to harden. It also can burn new starts as the soil is to hot. If you are sold on O F, mix it do cool it down. At least 4/1.

4. I use Fox Farm Ocean and it works great for me.. However, it contains a TON of "good stuff" in it already sooo your strongly advised to not add any additional nutrients until week four or five...sounds like your good man

-Next time maybe try mixing some other mediums in the Fox Farm if you dont want such a strong mix or risk overdosing your plants

• Like Like x 1
  5. I agree it has many good things but your guessing. So far on this post we have been told to start using nutes in wk 3 and you say as late as wk 5. Also by wk 5 my plants are in flower. A little research will tell you what a start needs. I start out at 1/4 strength and increase weekly to full strength. Just what I do.

6. Oh, another thought, I use 1" of
    pearlite
    at the bottom for better drainage as well as mixing 25% into my medium. This will allow the soil to drain and avoid root problems. As I said earlier OF will compact and harden over a grow so the roots become inhibited and cannot grow properly.