Found out my best friend of 17 years is gay...

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by PsychMajor420, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ok, so my bestfriend since kindergarden told me that he is gay Friday night. We're both 23 years old. I am not homophobic and told him that it doesn't bother me. However, it's wierd hanging out with him now. We hung out earlier today and it was extremely awckward. I feel kind of hurt that he didn't tell me till now. It actually makes quite a bit of sense. He was always very flirtatious with girls, and he used to date lots of girls but I believe it was quite platonic. He's extremelly good looking and a bit feminine. He wears $300 jeans and v necks all the time. It's just wierd for me. I can't stop thinking about sharing a bed when we used to have sleep overs as children. I am training to be a Psychologist, but it's different when it happens to you in real life, as I am now learning. Please give me advice on how to approach this. I would like to remain friends, but it was so awckard!

2. He probably didnt tell you until now because its a hard thing for people to talk about. so dont feel hurt, be glad he trusted you enough to open up to you. as for sharing beds, he didnt know he was gay then, so it doesnt really matter. and, he will be a 1 way ticket to fuck tons of attractive women.

3. gay men do make great wing men... but anyways, nothing should change,.. youve been friends this long so why should you approach it any differently

4. I think some men just aren't fully satisifed with women, i don't know if that makes them gay but i know that if you were getting pussy like john travolta always has you'd eventually want a dude, maybe your masseus, to touch your dick, maybe even a secret hand job for a big tip.

5. If you truly consider him a friend this shouldn't trouble you in any way.. Just blow it off and keep living your life..

6. Tell him how you feel, that will dispell the discomfort.

7. :laughing:

8. Well, think of it this way... if you were gay, would you be interested in him? My best friend of ten years came out a few months ago and I haven't thought anything of it. For one, she's family. We're like sisters, and nothing has changed about her. If you have any concerns or feel awkward you need to address them and talk to him about it. If you two have been best friends for 17 years and he has yet to make a pass at you and isn't acting any different than he always has, there's no need for you to feel awkward. Easier said than done though, I know.

9. lol psychologists don't know shit

10. yall should celebrate

11. take him camping..

that seems to be the popular thing to do

12. He probably waited this long because he knew that you'd act like this. It isn't the end of the world. You aren't expected to suck his dick now. Just make sure he knows that you aren't interested in any of that and move on. It isn't awkward unless you make it awkward. If he's that good of a friend it should be easy to get over and continue with your friendship.

13. From what I could tell in your post, all your friend did was tell you he was gay. Unless he also said he's in love with you or something to that effect don't let it bother you. It doesn't matter if you shared a bed as kids for sleepovers. He kept quite about it until he felt the time was right FOR HIM!!!! That's all that counts in this scenario. Treat him the same as before. Only now when you call him a 'cocksucker' it'll be true..lol

14. So that was your first post?
    Did you just post that in the first forum you found then?

15. gay guys are fantastic wingmen

16. yeah man don't think about the fact he didn't tell you till now, think about the fact that he told you
    that takes a lot of bravery and I'm sure he feels just as strange about you knowing he's gay after 17 years of friendship

as weird as you may feel, just try to be there for him
    do you know how many other people he's come out to?

17. If he's your friend their really shouldn't be a problem

18. I don't see why anything should change, or why anything should be weird.

:confused_2:

19. What makes you think that this entire thread isn't a test in itself?

Done by that psychologist who "don't know shit"?

You are merely part of the experiment.

Thanks for playing. :cool:

20. I suppose the biggest question you should be asking yourself is when did he "come out" to everyone else around him?

If it was 10 years ago, well yeah, you might have a right to feel a little awkward.

However, if it was 10 weeks ago when his family and friends found out, well then the only thing you should label as "awkward" is society's acceptance that prohibited him from opening up, likely due to fear and hate.

(Honestly, as one in training, you should know this...)